Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ice Machine Needs

Ice Machine Needs 11 Feb 2016 01:48 #42911

• TheGem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Anyone have an idea what a good size ice machine would be for a smaller theater? Or what would be the best way to figure out potential needs?

Im on limited space, and have been looking at the models sold as under counter. Our seating capacity is about 300. So, i'd like to at least have a machine capable of producing enough to keep up with that need (though i know that would be a somewhat rare occurrence) A comparable theater near me has an under counter model and it appears they have enough to go around.

Im assuming I should be focused mainly on bin capacity for my needs? The most shows in one day we plan on doing is 3 per day but only on weekends.

Any recommendations on brand? I've seen lots of Manitowocs....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ice Machine Needs 11 Feb 2016 23:26 #42912

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
I bought an under counter small cube Manitowoc for my small theater. It fit my space better than other types. It's really fast to scoop the ice. I don't remember the model number or exactly how much ice it made per day. I want to say it made 100 to 150 pounds per day. Even at 100 pounds per day, you can probably serve 200 drinks per day without a problem. But really, you probably won't serve that much every day, so the ice maker will make more ice than needed on days when business is slower. So, when the busier weekends come, you should have two or three times the daily production of the unit waiting in the bin. I always made sure to distribute the ice more evenly around the bin to allow for the most possible to be made in advance.

I always put a half cup of ice in each cup, rather than a full cup. I know that as a consumer, I hate getting a cup that is all ice with no room for drink. It's gone too soon that way. I feel cheated in that case. So, how much ice fits in half a cup? Maybe one fourth of the volume of the cup? So, if your average cup size is 16 oz, then I would guess that it would take 4 oz of ice per cup. Twice as much for a 32 oz cup. So, you might be able to serve 300 drinks with 100 lbs of ice. Just a guess. I never measured these things. I just know that my Manitowoc worked out just fine.
Last Edit: 11 Feb 2016 23:28 by lionheart.

Ice Machine Needs 13 Feb 2016 15:35 #42917

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
We also have a Manitowoc machine, though a larger one. It's one of the best purchases I've made out here, having had to deal with a miserable sheet-maker before that.

We also fill maybe a bit over half. The exception is our iced tea drinks. We brix them stronger and fill the cups, as the unrefrigerated tea tends to melt the ice down faster.

Ice Machine Needs 14 Feb 2016 00:41 #42934

• TheGem
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah, I had assumed that was the go to brand.

You'd think being in the restaurant biz for 10 years I'd have some clue about them. But really, ive never had to deal with them ever. I do admit however I have a BIG disdain for them. They're ALWAYS going out when you need them most........

But....every place Ive been and worked at NEVER had a new one.....it was always some old relic probably duct taped together praying for someone to shoot it.

Ice Machine Needs 26 Feb 2016 12:27 #42989

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
We bought a brand new 600lb a day Manitowoc machine about two years ago and I absolutely love it. Our problem isn't the production capacity, but the storage capacity. On any given Friday or Saturday night, we can go through all 600 lbs in the ice bin in about 2 1/2 hours. I really need to find a way to bag the ice the machine makes during the week, and keep it in the freezers for the weekend rush.

I've found the key to longevity for an ice machine is a good double cartridge filter on the water line and make sure the cuber itself gets cleaned with de-scaler about once every two months. Our new Manitowoc machine has a cleaning mode that makes it super easy.
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Ice Machine Needs 26 Feb 2016 15:47 #42992

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 125
cant you bag it and keep in a freezer just as they do ice for sale?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction