Banner
Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Alaska Arctic theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alaska Arctic theater

Alaska Arctic theater 23 Sep 2019 23:58 #44411

I'm currently building a screen in Fox alaska in the shape of the hoover dam 120 feet by 45 feet tall the structure will be built out of large loader tires on the bottom then back filled with earth then tires stacked till the height is reached. Then come halloween the temperature will drop to 20 degrees then I will be spraying the face of the hoover tire dam with water to create a screen for playing movies. What do you think.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alaska Arctic theater 24 Sep 2019 08:25 #44412

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
It doesn't sound like a serious plan to me. Maybe you are joking? Just for grins I will consider your question seriously.

If you will go through all the trouble and expense to build your ice screen, it probably won't allow a good quality picture to be displayed. Ice isn't exactly white after all, when it's made by freezing running water... at least where I come from that wouldn't look all that white. It might not be smooth enough either. It could be too reflective as well.

If this is for your own viewing pleasure, then throwing up a cheap projector and putting out a few lawn chairs or sitting in your vehicle might be ok for a much smaller picture than you propose. But, if you are thinking of a drive-in theater selling tickets, then there is no chance this is a workable business model. Drive-ins are most popular in warm weather. Even if locals don't mind colder weather, you still have to pay distributors for exhibition rights (even if the movie is shown from DVD or Blu-ray).

You will have to have a projector that can put a bright, good quality image on the large screen you propose. It will need to be DCP compliant if you will get new movies people want to see. This means it will cost loads of cash. You will probably want to sell concessions too, so you will need to invest in equipment and facilities for that and the projection booth. You will probably need to grade the area for sight lines and possibly pave it to prevent it from being a mud hole in warmer weather because you will definitely want to be open in the summer when the blockbusters come out. You will need some other special purpose equipment, such as FM transmitter, etc. In the end, to make this work at all, you will need to spend so much money that the screen will only be a small part of the cost to begin with. So, why not pay to do it right?

Now, if you only wanted to throw up a screen to show a few movies for Halloween, then why bother with the massive construction project to build the screen. Just show a few movies on the side of a building or barn or something and be done with it (keeping in mind the legal issues involved with showing movies... paying distributors).
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2019 08:31 by lionheart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction