Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Ratings Game

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 10:55 #29767

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
16. Outaframe, you give an excellent statement of the sad state of affairs with respect to the ratings and how they are enforced, or not, as the individual theatre's case might be. I am not an exhibitor, but I have always felt sorry for the businessmen who are presumed to have to police the attendance of kids of all ages at a cinema. A guns merchant must be expected to limit sales of his wares to restrict minors, but you are merely renting a vision on a screen (or more often, a deafening volume in the ears due to "pumped-up" soundtracks). YES, it IS DEFINITELY the parents' responsibility and it is sad that our society has degenerated to the point that it both makes films unsuitable for kids in the 'adult' sense, and that parents would rather put their kids into a freezing cage of a car while they act irresponsibly in a tavern than accompany them to a film suitable for the whole family. It reminds me of the Scriptures in the Bible at 1Timothy 3:1-5 foretelling the nature of our day and age! We can be thankful that God will not always be putting up with this conduct; there is a terrible penalty coming from Him for such ones.
[This message has been edited by jimor (edited June 04, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by dr (edited February 24, 2005).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:01 #29768

• dr
  • Administrator
17. I was wondering if anybody enforced a policy where anyone under 13 cannot attend a PG-13 movie without an adult? We had a parent call a complain over the weekend because their child (don't know how old) was let into a PG-13 movie and they were under 13. I don't think letting someone between 10-12 into a PG-13 movie is as bad as letting someone under 16 into a R movie. We do have a policy when it comes to R movies but I don't think it's really necessary to do the same with PG-13 movies. I was wonder what everyone else does.

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:02 #29769

• dr
  • Administrator
18. You should point out to anyone who makes a complaint like that, that there is absolutely no restriction imposed on that rating or any rating for that matter. It is just suggested guidance for parents to be able to make a decision on their own.
Tell them to do a little research on the internet about the rating system and they will be enlightened. Remind them that it is a voluntary system self emposed by the movie industry and not law.

While you are not even required to enforce the R or NC-17 ratings, I believe it is in the best interest of the industry, and I would hope for your theatre, that you do. I am very diligent in enforcing the rating system as I believe that I have a responsibility to my community to help maintain a high standard of moral principle.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited September 16, 2004).]

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:03 #29770

• dr
  • Administrator
19. ROXY hit the nail on the head: it's a SUGGESTED age limit, but NOT cast in stone NOR a legal requirement... I advertize PG pictures as "NOT RECOMMENDED for pre-teens," and R pictures as "NOT RECOMMENDED for under age 17."... IF a parent sends their child ANYWAY, I don't refuse them, unless there is something EXTREMELY SEXUAL in the content... I am NOT ABOUT to assume the parent's role as morals monitor for their child, and these SAME pictures WILL be available shortly, un-monitored to ALL on cable, satellite, at Blockbuster, and even for FREE at your local library... For those very rare NC-17 pictures, I have a flat policy of "No One under 18 Admitted."... This has worked with no major problems here since the rating system came along...

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:04 #29771

• dr
  • Administrator
20. You might also remind complainers that the 'PG' in 'PG-13' means "Parental Guidance" not 'theatre guidance' or 'exhibitor guidance.' It is up to the parents to guide the viewings of their children, not the theatres. This means that parents should acompany their brats when it is time for a movie, and not simply turn them loose on the public to let others be the babby sitter. "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree." It seems that many parents simply don't care how their kids grow up. Sad.

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:05 #29772

• dr
  • Administrator
21. I know the rating system is only voluntary and is not a law. However, I think most of the public is not aware of that. I guess they just assume we are the local babysitter and we are suppose to watch after their kids.
I don't think a PG-13 policy is necessary since I doubt anyone under 10 will come to the theater by themselves. And I don't think letting 11 or 12 year olds into the movie is that bad.

We do have an R policy. I know some parents are happy about this. About the only problem I can recall is that a group of kids came in and had a note signed by one of the parents taking responsiblity for all the kids. One of the kids mother called and complained because she didn't want her kid to see that movie and was mad that the other mother said it was okay. I think the woman should have taken up her situation with the other mother and her own kid instead of complaining to us.

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:07 #29773

• dr
  • Administrator
22. That whole rating system is ridiculous. It shoudl be used as a guide and followed, no need to police it! Parents should be monitoring there children under 13 on what there doing. Your not there parents they are resposnible. Parents...Stop blaming others on your neglect and start focusing on your children!!!!!!

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:08 #29774

• dr
  • Administrator
22. Since I run an art house, “enforcing” the rating system isn’t part of my day. Parents will pop and ask if a film is appropriate, and I give a run-down of what I think, though when we played “Boys Don’t Cry” I ran off a good portion of the teens that wanted to see it. I think the biggest benefit of the rating system is it gives us a tool to use to make sure an adult audience doesn’t have to share the auditorium with a bunch of giggling kids.
We were playing a film that had a fair amount of gay sex. So I was warning the senior contingent what they were about to see. One LOL (little old lady) reached over the counter and took my hand and said, “I’m 83 years old, dear. I doubt there’s much I haven’t seen. I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:09 #29775

• dr
  • Administrator
23. I am always amazed that some girls who like 20 are 12 and boys who lok 12 are 15.
PG means "Parental guidance". Where was the parent when they dropped their kid off? Did they discuss what movie jr. was going to?

How about some PG when the girls pick out their dress mode for movie night? Is that asking too much? Yes.

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:13 #29776

• dr
  • Administrator
24. Theatres have to check for patrons being 17 years of age in order to view a (R) rated film. In this day of age with terrorism and realities of war most young adults should be able to witness a (R) feature at the age of 16. It seems almost childish to think that if your not 17 you may not be mature enought to handle the content.
Does anyone believe it will eventually be lowered ???

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:14 #29777

• dr
  • Administrator
25. Not likely!... The ratings system has been around for 36 years, and was originally set up to take the heat off film makers and allow them to make movies with more adult oriented themes... Society today is probably further to the right than it was then, and likely to seek even more restrictive control...
Remember that the ratings are voluntary (not the law) and that it falls to the individual theater as to how strictly they are enforced locally... If you choose a more liberal interpretation, and are ready and willing to take whatever heat your interpretation may or may not stir up, you are the one who will be in the line of fire if there is a outcry... What do you believe your community thinks to be the acceptable age to watch R rated movies?...

Re: The Ratings Game 24 Feb 2005 11:15 #29778

• dr
  • Administrator
26. Actually, the rating system is not a law as most people believe. Go to www.mpaa.org for all the details. The rating system is actually only a guideline for parents to decide if they think their child should watch a certain movie. The movie companies are not even required to submit a movie for rating, the system is completely voluntary. If they decide not to submit a movie for rating, then they are not allowed to use the G, PG, PG-13, or R ratings on that show. Most theaters abide by the rating system to keep on parent's good side. Therefore, it is a parent's decision to let a child under 17 watch an R rated movie.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction