Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: VIP boxes

Re: VIP boxes 12 Feb 2005 12:32 #28777

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello, Andrew.
I'm fairly sure that the answer to your question would be a resounding "NO!".

The studios have a fairly sharp eye out for this kind of thing, and have covered it pretty well in their master licenses.

If you expect your customers to pay ANYTHING over the base ticket price as a condition of watching the movie, the studios will consider it part of the admission price, and will want to see it added to the total. The only exception I'm aware of is the "convenience" fees that are charged for internet ticketing, though there have been some well-publicised arguments between the studios and exhibitors on the subject. Putting a mandatory "parking fee" on your ticket price would be another example.

Another version of this concept is the "membership card". The customer pays a one-time (or monthly) fee for the card, and gets a steeply disounted (or unrestricted) admission to the building, and whatever's playing in it. In this case, the customer gets a good deal, the exhibitor gets money up front. The risk is that the studio will get shafted, if the exhibitor tries to show these admissions as some kind of pass, instead of a full-priced cash ticket.

A few years back, some California company had a monthly membership deal going on... anyone know what happened to it? I haven't heard much about it lately.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: VIP boxes 13 Feb 2005 01:38 #28778

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
On the subject of discounted passes, one of the bookers I talk to in New York told me she has an annual pass to one of the theaters out there. Not sure which theater it is or how it works though.

Re: VIP boxes 13 Feb 2005 19:21 #28779

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
I wouldn't bother with a cry-room for the same reason I don't like changing tables in the restroom. Children that small should be at home with the babysitter ... I'm not interested in encouraging people to bring the very little ones to my theatre.

Re: VIP boxes 14 Feb 2005 14:19 #28780

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike Spaeth is so right! Far too many parents now drag their crying, screaming infants and toddlers to the cinema when the child should be at home taking its needed nap. And it galls me to see the theatres encourage this with 'Family rates' and baby-tending facilities and signs directing one to them. It ruins the experience for the majority of the patrons and is another reason that the patronage is steadily declining. I would more readily patronize a place that has a conspicuous sign outside saying: KINDLY LEAVE INFANTS AND TODDLERS AT HOME. THERE ARE NO FACILITIES FOR THEM HERE. One now sees women pushing strollers with multiple crying (or soon to be crying) kids and then block the aisles with these beside their seat while the hapless patrons traipse past as best they can squeeze by. Talk about fire code violations! Yes, you will have to put up with the outraged comments of some matron too lazy to properly care for her children, but you will have preserved the original movie-going enjoyment of a quiet auditorium without the horendous smell of ripe diapers and the kids screaming in them while 'mom' is too unwilling to miss the sights on the screen to take care of the kid, or worse yet, she changes the kid in the seat next to her, all the while 'goo-gooing' at the kid, as the kid gurgles back. The sound and odor are indescribable, and managements are loathe to interfere with a mother ministering to the baby's needs. Some women take such permissive atmosphere to the extreme and disrobe sufficiently to breast feed right in the seats, and many local governments are now so libertine as to quash any attempt to make such behaviour in public illegal. You might tolerate such for a proclaimed 'Mothers' Morning' or any of the other gimmicks for moms and kids, but NOT during other times, PLEASE.

If one has no backbone in running his theatre, the public will quickly notice and they will quickly take advantage of you by dropping off the kids for you to be baby sitter! And later, babysitter for the teenagers who will do other kinds of damage. If you are a chain cinema manager told to let anyone and everyone in to maximize profits, then I can only pitty you and hope that you find a better job, but I will not be coming to your place any more.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited February 14, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited February 14, 2005).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: VIP boxes 17 Feb 2005 09:32 #28781

• RedDawg
  • Fresh Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Spaeth:
I wouldn't bother with a cry-room for the same reason I don't like changing tables in the restroom. Children that small should be at home with the babysitter ... I'm not interested in encouraging people to bring the very little ones to my theatre.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you can make lemonade out of these lemons. If THIS comes to pass, I plan to have a licensed nursery/day care room in the basement (extra charge of course) and "encourage" mothers and parents of children below a certain age to leave them there during the performance. (Short term visits not requiring supervision by the attendant would be free.) This would also allow those last-minute planners who couldn't get a babysitter (or the planned sitter had to cancel) to come and enjoy the show anyway. You can check HERE to see how one theatre (Note the name!) is using this concept to great advantage.

The Parkway Theatre, an idea whose time has come. Help Make it happen!

[This message has been edited by RedDawg (edited February 17, 2005).]
The Parkway Theatre, an idea whose time has come. Help Make it happen!

Re: VIP boxes 19 Feb 2005 10:34 #28782

How much extra would you charge for VIP seating? Just admission price in a seperate area with luxury seating no concession freebies.
Thanks,
Jay
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction