Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New setup for theatre

New setup for theatre 28 Dec 2013 14:21 #40509

• beabea
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

We would like to restore a relatively old theather to show movies. Currently it's being used for plays, etc.
Basically we need a screen, a projector and a sound system (I think).

Since we're new into this, could someone advise us about the equipment we need? And also what contacts do we need to show new movies.

Thanks
Bea Lemmer
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2013 14:22 by beabea.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New setup for theatre 28 Dec 2013 15:12 #40510

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
As far as contacts are concerned hire yourself a booker. He can take care of all of that for you. The owner of this website is also a booker. You'll need to consider digital equipment almost immediately. You are looking at about $60 grand. Contact Sonic Equipment or most any other theatre equipment dealer like American Cinema Equipment in Portland, Oregon.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

New setup for theatre 29 Dec 2013 00:22 #40511

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That will send them running! Newbies thank you just set up a DVD player to a Home projector and your in business playing rentals! Before you ask these questions look over the site! If your not established or a multiplex your not coming in and gonna be a success! Those days are over! You need Big Money and mutiple screens!

New setup for theatre 29 Dec 2013 15:41 #40514

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
C'mom jacker, give him a break. Some single screeners will succeed especially specialty houses. And it all depends on the location. Multiplexes are not the only successful houses running today.

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

New setup for theatre 30 Dec 2013 19:30 #40515

• beabea
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys for your comments. I think the home projector isn't a bad idea after all. We're talking about a space with at least 600 seats and the distance from the projectorroom to the podium should be around 50 meters (not sure). Could that work?

How about rights and stuff to pay when you use DVD's?

Thanks and sorry for asking these simple questions.

Bea

New setup for theatre 30 Dec 2013 20:29 #40516

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
The rights to play a film on DVD comes from the company that owns the film. Again a booker can get you the license.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

New setup for theatre 31 Dec 2013 11:07 #40518

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I don't know if using a "home projector" is a viable way to show movies for a crowd of 600. The room for that will have to be fairly big. The throw will be fairly long. And, the screen will be fairly large. You will need to look at large venue projectors not home projectors. It is possible to get a large venue projector for less than the commercial cinema grade projectors being used by first run theaters, but anything that will serve well in such a large room with such a large screen is probably going to be expensive. If you have to spend something like $20,000 for a projector that you can show movies that are already out on DVD or BluRay, you might want to consider spending more for a projector that would allow to show movies well before they come out on DVD, even if it costs you $60,000. It may be possible to finance or lease such a system.

There is a lot more earnings potential for new movies than older ones. It depends on a lot of things. What is the population of the area? Are there universities in the area? What kind of competition will you have? How far is it to those competing theaters? If there are established cinemas in the area, will you even be able to get movies early enough in the run to make any money?

I like projectorcentral.com for searching for large venue projectors. It has a feature where you can find projectors that will meet your technical requirements and tell you how much you might buy them for. Maybe you can find something for less than $20,000, but I would still be concerned about your earning potential with older movies. Repertory houses are rare because showing older movies rarely works well in anything but very large markets.

New setup for theatre 02 Jan 2014 19:23 #40522

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Lionheart is right. A 600 seat auditorium is pretty big and you're going to need to drop some big bucks just to get a home projector suitable for that size of auditorium.

Before digital, we used to show DVD's on a home projector for certain special engagements and private shows, and I think it looks crappy. To be honest, I think DVDs look crappy projected out of my Christie digital projectors.

Also, when we bought our theater almost 6 years ago, we had TONS of people approaching us and recommending we start showing classics and westerns, because they'd just LOVE to see those on the big screen again. We're first run, so we didn't do that but we did book a few classics just for a special weekend a number of times. We promoted the crap out of these shows in collaboration with a local service organization. Did anyone show up? Nope. Below average attendance for those shows. We've also shown movies that were just recently out on DVD and we did slightly better with those. But still nowhere near just an average showing of a first run title.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction