Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Mounting chairs into plywood
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting chairs into plywood

Mounting chairs into plywood 20 Nov 2013 17:28 #40435

• bpk
  • Fresh Boarder
Have any of you ever mounted chairs into plywood? I am building a new theater and am considering using double layered 3/4" plywood over GeoFoam (to give elevation). Ideally it would be best to use concrete, but the chair company says the chairs will do fine mounted into plywood. Any thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mounting chairs into plywood 20 Nov 2013 19:44 #40436

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
It will work just fine if you do what you are describing.

Mounting chairs into plywood 21 Nov 2013 20:39 #40438

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Our chairs are mounted into plywood and it is fine. The biggest problem with the plywood floors is that they weren't given a proper finish at installation, so the paint on them has worn off and has a dull, dirty look to it. We can't stay closed long enough to apply a nice polyurethane coating to them like we should.

Mounting chairs into plywood 21 Nov 2013 21:16 #40439

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How exactly are your chairs attached to the wood floor? For mine, they keep ripping up out of the floor when someone thinks the chairs are rockers. :(

Mounting chairs into plywood 21 Nov 2013 22:25 #40440

• bpk
  • Fresh Boarder
Tratcliff, that is my concern too. Most of the research I have found suggest mounting them to plywood. On site even said if you have concrete floors to install plywood over the concrete!

Busybee, so you do not have carpet/vinyl or anything on top of the wood? You simply poly/painted the floors. Is it not slippery?

Mounting chairs into plywood 23 Nov 2013 22:55 #40443

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
choose the right fastening. Correct head and large thread. Hard to imagine that 1 1/2" thick plywood would not hold screws. Ask your seating company as they have seen it all. And by the way: if jerks have their feet up pushing and rocking chairs? Throw them out and tell them to get their dammed feet down. It's not a zoo. It's a theatre.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Mounting chairs into plywood 25 Nov 2013 19:35 #40447

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
They aren't slick at all, but maybe they would be if we had them shined up the way I want them. Haha.

We do sometimes have a chair come loose, but not often and somehow my husband always manages to get it firmly reattached. Our chairs are not rockers either, but I think the chairs were installed slightly too close to the riser behind them so people can't rock too far. This is bad because they rub against the riser and squeak sometimes. Our biggest maintenance issue has been people snapping the backs of the chairs. Kids like to sit backward in them to talk to the row behind them and end up snapping them over the riser behind the chair. In the last 6 years that I've been managing this theater we've lost probably 15 seat backs this way.

Just thinking out loud-- we have access underneath our stadium risers, so if we ever had a chair that had stripped out the area where it is mounted, we could take a piece of plywood underneath and anchor it down into that, and it would be replaceable if it were to become stripped again.

Mounting chairs into plywood 25 Nov 2013 19:35 #40449

• bpk
  • Fresh Boarder
On a related note, have any of you used Geofoam blocks to create risers, or have you ever framed out the risers with wood? Any recommendations. concerns, etc? I am creating risers from a flat floor. Exploring foam, wood frame or, worst case, infill with dirt and concrete.

Mounting chairs into plywood 25 Nov 2013 19:36 #40450

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
I wasn't here when our stadium seating was constructed, so I don't know what options were available to the previous owner. Our stadium seating is wood framing. If I could have done it myself, I would have at least used steel framing. Our theater is a historic former single-screen, so I would never have infilled with dirt & concrete. I have this fancy dream that someday we can restore this place back to a single. It would seem that regardless of what type of building you are in, the ability to convert the space back into something else if need be would be good.

Mounting chairs into plywood 27 Nov 2013 10:38 #40454

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
yesterday as I was walking through one of my theatres I thought of this topic because.... I have wood floors and we installed new chairs a few years ago, same thing in my other theatre and then I realized it's many hundreds of theatres that have wood chairs. Of course the chairs will hold with the proper fasteners. How you finish the floor is important. Think about it. That will be your issue and not if the chairs will stay put or not.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction