Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale

Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 19 Jun 2011 03:41 #36520

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This is a question that was brought up with a realtor friend of mine. She was telling me people across the nation are not getting the price for theatres that were given a few years back. The fear of conversion from 35mm to Digital is a real factor in the price of the theatre.
People buying are weary and know that the 35mm depots will be a thing of the past in the near future. So a price paid for a 35mm equipped theatre cannot be justified if you have to pay between 60-100,000 to convert. Sometimes the conversion cost more than the actual theatre.
Panic is setting in for those that have been owning a theatre for life and want to retire and sell and stuck with a dinosaur. What was once worth maybe 400,000 for a twin can't sell for 200,000 out of fear.
What will happen in 2 years across the nation is going to be sad part of Theatre history if a conversion hasn't been made or cant afford to do!
So for those who are selling the question is what to do almost give away the theatre or convert and go from there?
If your theatre has been a profitable business a high price tag is not needed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 19 Jun 2011 05:27 #36521

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Yes it seems to be affecting the price of theatres but it's because of panic based on fear not fact. I'm numbered among those who believe film will be around for many years yet. Many of the houses for sale are sub-runs and would not have to spend the 60 to 100 grand to stay sub-run. Just wait the four weeks until the movie is on DVD or BluRay and play through a computer on a much less expensive digital projector. They are some really good ones out there even today.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 19 Jun 2011 17:30 #36523

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Jacker, you are 100% correct.

A person would be making a foolish decision if they did not plan for the digital conversion in the next 2-3 years if they are purchasing a theater today. Is that panic based on fear??? I do not believe so.

Bob I do not know how much of your post is a joke. Movies are released on DVD/BR currently on average 4 mos after theatrical release. Some are released at 3 mos. That market is shrinking and the studios have seldom embraced that aspect of the business. I highly doubt any exhibitor can rely on playing movies from dvd/br as a significant source or revenue.

Re: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 19 Jun 2011 19:39 #36527

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hi Jack:

You and I have a difference of opinion. I'm not joking. If a house is sub-run even four months isn't going to hurt it. This whole fighting to be the first to put it on my screen IMO is a little silly and the reason behind it is to take advantage of the distributors promotions. What ever happened to showmen who do their own promoting and tying it in with local merchants. You can get posters early enough to let your customers know the film is coming and (except for those who just HAVE to be the first to see it) your customers will come IF you offer them a better theatre experience with lower prices all around. However, just wait. Distributors will push to get the DVD window closer to the theatrical release date. And just because a film is on DVD does not mean everyone wants to run out and buy it and watch it at home rather than in a theatre. The theatre experience cannot be duplicated at home (except for the rich who have their own home theatres). Many theatres closed when TV became a threat in the 60s because the owners panicked and didn't try to find ways to compete wit the box.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 19 Jun 2011 22:15 #36528

• CGM
  • Junior Boarder
rufusjack wrote:
Jacker, you are 100% correct.

A person would be making a foolish decision if they did not plan for the digital conversion in the next 2-3 years if they are purchasing a theater today. Is that panic based on fear??? I do not believe so.

Bob I do not know how much of your post is a joke. Movies are released on DVD/BR currently on average 4 mos after theatrical release. Some are released at 3 mos. That market is shrinking and the studios have seldom embraced that aspect of the business. I highly doubt any exhibitor can rely on playing movies from dvd/br as a significant source or revenue.

RufusJack is correct. The studios don't really care about sub run houses and that isn't going to change. NetFlix, DVD's and VOD have or will replace sub run theatres.
Running a sub-run house that is dependent upon DVD's shown with a computer and an ordinary digital projector will not support a business no matter how well it is run or promoted. Where will such a theatre routinely source one sheets and basic materials?
Mr. Allen is correct; the true theatre experience can't be duplicated at home. Using DVD's as a primary source is not creating a true theatre experience. I would hope that anyone new to this forum who is hoping to open a new theatre won't be misled by some comments here.
I hope that readers from the general public who stop by here don't think that theatre operators are using off the shelf DVD's every day.
DVD's are fine for some alternative and/or independent content or a special series when the DVD's are presented with commerical equipment on big screens with great sound.
As several have said before, more than just theatre operators are reading these forums.
Let's not do our industry a disservice on this forum.
CGM
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2011 22:16 by CGM.

Re: Is digital conversion effecting Theatres for sale 20 Jun 2011 12:57 #36529

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
anyone buying or selling a 35mm theatre where it is not a factor is just plain silly.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction