Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design small town start-up?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: small town start-up?

small town start-up? 18 Jun 2011 14:28 #36515

• wester101
Hi all,
I live in a small town(2500) with only one theatre within 30 miles, a single screen first-run 20 miles out.
My question is this: Is it possible to house a 100 seat theatre in a 1300 sq/f building? I ask because there is one for sale in a great location at a VERY good price(20000). My idea is to play sub-run/art/dvd movies on the weekends, use it as a venue for performers, rent it out for meetings/birthdays and play big tv shows/games on weekdays. Is this possible? I believe I can do it for less than $50,000.
All replies are greatly appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: small town start-up? 18 Jun 2011 18:29 #36516

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
welcome to the forums, wester101

This question has been asked and answered numerous times so please look on the forum for your answer. Particularly, look at digital cinema costs. With that being said, it seems like your estimate is pretty light to me. Projection and audio costs alone are going to be in the $60-80K range. Seats? Concession equipment? Construction costs? Bathrooms? ADA compliance?

One of the biggest challenges I've heard of in converting spaces into auditoriums is ceiling height. I would think you'd need at least a 15 ft ceiling height in most cases. My single screen theater is about 4000 sq feet or so and it seats 140 for reference. I do have some extra space but not thousands of square feet by any means.

Get a big cup of coffee, sit back and read these forums over for the answers to most of your questions. Good luck
"What a crazy business"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharynf

Re: small town start-up? 01 Jul 2011 03:48 #36590

• sharynf
  • Fresh Boarder
:) Another newbie here; getting a 'bus. plan' in order; thinking about the same as the other poster; I'll get my Starbucks in a moment! I don't know where you're located geographically (where in the world are you Carmen Santiago? or something like that). BUT, I'm wondering WHAT the 'airconditioning' overhead costs would be, typically, for instance for you....:huh: thanks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction