Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Building Size-Single Screen
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Building Size-Single Screen

Building Size-Single Screen 04 Dec 2010 19:22 #34955

Hi Folks-

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and reply to these posts. I have spent a great deal of time here and plan to spend a whole lot more.

My wife and I are looking at opening a single screen (possibly double, depending on finances) with a bar concept within a small but thriving neighborhood entertainment district in Kansas City. Still deciding on product (second-run, art movies, etc). We have begun looking at commercial real estate to convert into a theater space. My first of many questions are these:

1. What size of building should we be looking at? Need to narrow down our search by square footage and I also need to figure out how tall the ceiling needs to be in the theater space.

2. Investment- Just a ballpark idea of what it would cost to convert a blank space (warehouse) into a theater.

Thanks in advance for your help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Building Size-Single Screen 05 Dec 2010 11:57 #34961

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
In all honesty you need to hire a consultant for these type of broad based questions. This is a relatively expensive business. The cost of hiring an expert to guide you through these questions is very minimal compared to what your entire capital outlay will be. Mike, Slap and others are available and qualified to help you on your way. Best of luck.

Re:Building Size-Single Screen 05 Dec 2010 12:48 #34962

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would never build a single or twin. Building or major remodeling of an empty space is very expensive, and usually the costs outweigh the potential income of only 1-2 screens. The only way I would get involved with a single or twin theatre would be if the building was already there and basically intact. Having to pay off a NEW building, two screens just won't cut it. You would have to fill ALL the seats a MAJORITY of the time just to pay the mortgage, don't forget the studios will take half the box office money, heat, air conditioning, electricity, insurance,advertising,and a huge list of other expenses quickly add up. Someone in my area built from the ground up, a 3 screen discount theatre that served food 3 years ago. I went in there when it first opened, their seat counts are between 100-150, I just don't know how they ever thought they could make money, during the week, for the most part theatres sit empty, and on the weekend, even if they would happen to sell out a 100 seat auditorium @ $4.00 a ticket, they only took in $400.00, now take the studios 50% of box office and they only have $200. Its impossible to pay off a million dollar or more investment. For what its worth, the original operator lost this property to forclosure, someone else is now operating it, I don't know what kind of a deal they got on the building.

Re:Building Size-Single Screen 05 Dec 2010 17:09 #34963

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Some intial thoughts: 1) I believe the KC market is mature with minimal opportunities. 2) Not a big fan of singles or twins unless they have a significant historical value and have a protective market. 3) this type of venture pretty much makes you a restaurant which opens up a whole new can of worms.

Are you talking about the Power & Light district?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction