Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Christie ?

Christie ? 16 Jun 2009 18:21 #31715

Opinions?

Projection room STOLEN! Yes, STOLEN! :S

Thinking of replacing all equipment with Christie.... Terrible idea?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Christie ? 16 Jun 2009 19:18 #31716

• Dynamic PBX Corp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
okay, it needs to be asked....
how can hundreds if not thousands of pounds of hard-wired equipment be stolen? Closed for vacation, the season, this does make the curious mind wonder!

Re:Christie ? 16 Jun 2009 19:59 #31717

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
christie is great as is strong.like them both

Re:Christie ? 16 Jun 2009 23:14 #31718

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Christie puts out a very steady picture. But so does the Simplex Apogee (Strong). I'd pick the Apogee simply for the dependability of a gear driven projector rather than a belt driven machine.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 16 Jun 2009 23:15 by revrobor.

Re:Christie ? 16 Jun 2009 23:53 #31719

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
THE APOGEE AS BEEN DISC FROM STRONG.I BELIEVE THEY HAVE ABOUT 25 LEFT IN STOCK..GREAT MACHINE WE USE IT ON OUR 74 FT SCREEN.

Re:Christie ? 18 Jun 2009 13:01 #31730

From experience, I hate Christie projectors. Belt driven is bad, IMO. I can't count the times I had to replace a shutter belt or an inner timing belt, as the movie was slated to start, since it decided to snap while threading or when the movie just began.

Moved to another theatre that had Strong projectors/platters and would never get anything other than those in the future.

Hopefully I'll get my own theatre down the road and this is what I will have, unless I go all digital.

Re:Christie ? 18 Jun 2009 18:55 #31732

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
There's nothing wrong with Century or Simplex, two of the most common projector brands on the planet. There are other brands out there, too... such as Christie Kinoton. They have their followings, mainly for personal reasons... sort of like whether one prefers a Chevy or a Ford. Really, it's hard to go terribly wrong, as long as you don't install an old Ballantyne Pro-35.

Still... I also wonder how anyone could have carted off a booth, and what they might have thought they'd do with the stuff. You can't just take it into the local pawn shop, y'know.

Re:Christie ? 19 Jun 2009 13:07 #31733

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Don't mean to hijack the thread Jack but I had the pleasure of touring the Strong plant back in '06. While there are some of those old Ballantynes out there Strong was no longer manufacturing them. I think the best Ballantyne was the knock-off of a Simplex standard.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Christie ? 20 Jun 2009 05:18 #31735

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Never got the chance to work with that generation of Balantynes, Robert. The VIPS were very popular with Tom Moyer. I was at several of his new builds, and witnessed those machines jump all over the screen, straight off the truck. Later, I had the joy of working on them. In spite of the efforts of some very qualified techs, I never saw a VIP that had as stable an image as an average Century. Too bad, really... they're quiet, built like a tank and handle film well, but those framing couplers are the worst.

Disney, who I'm told had a whole bunch of them in their theme parks, took the framing couplers out altogether and still had to rebuild the machines every 500 hours or so to keep the vertical jitter down.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction