Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Microplex Cinemas?

Microplex Cinemas? 29 Dec 2008 11:20 #30617

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
Hi,

Has anyone heard of Microplex cinemas www.microplexcinemas.com/index.php ??

They seem to be diffrent then any other cinema, Thier site and updates never change,

Anyone been to one of these? What are they like?

I was thinking of doing something simular in the uk but have showings of films during the day when the screens are not being rented,

Transform a warehouse into one?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 08 Jan 2009 06:05 #30674

• hari001
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am newcomer in this forum. Until I read and deal with the forum.
Let’s learn!

Jimmy
Business Opportunities

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 08 Jan 2009 09:16 #30675

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
and that has to do with the subject how?

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 08 Jan 2009 16:48 #30679

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
"hari001" is a spambot that has spammed the same or similar message to over 11,000 other forums.

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 08 Jan 2009 17:56 #30681

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
If you rent someone a mini theatrem (16' screen is not very mini) are they then free to play/ bring any movie they want from Net Flix Blockbuster, etc? Interesting question. I went to www.iappa.com and was astounde3d at the amount of specialized gaming and 3-d for group and small group viewing, seats move, smellaron, etc. etc. It's a big deal.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 09 Jan 2009 22:16 #30683

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
I have talked to someone who deals with video copyright issues/first sale doctrine and I was told that the law is very grey on this topic. We do quite well on the weekends renting out our screens before the first shows of the day for people to play what they want to play/watch.

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 17 Jan 2009 10:00 #30719

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
Hi,

Sorry about the late reply, Only just come out of hospital after being mugged and beaten badly.

I think microplex is just like a normal dvd rental business but you cant take them homw you have to order one of the screens,

The concepts nice tho, If i did the same I'd either buy each dvd myself or try and get rentals from blockbusters

How much do you normally charge per screen rentals for gaming etc?

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 17 Jan 2009 14:49 #30720

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Hope you are OK Dexxa. Sounds frightening.

What do you have to do to set up for gaming rufasjack?

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 18 Jan 2009 11:41 #30723

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Not much. The room we use the most has AV projector set up in the booth. We own all of the different game systems as we own video stores as well. The new systems wireless controllers have very good range on them so the systems stay in the booth. In the other rooms we are going to mount the projectors from the ceiling. Until then we place the projector in the room. Takes about 10 mins to do. We have been using a simple Sanyo Z-4 and Z-5 projectors with very good success. They can be purchased for less than $1000 on ebay and replacement bulbs run less than $300.

In the near future, we should be expanding and we plan on having a AV room to rent out 24/7. Right now we only rent out whenever we are not showing films. Which means pretty much we only rent out Sat and Sun mornings.

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 01 Feb 2009 20:24 #30811

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
anyone know if there is any legal reason why they are keeping seating in the 8-12 seat range?

I mean would there be a problem with a room with 25 seats rented for private use????:huh:
tony.

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 02 Feb 2009 01:07 #30813

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Yah.

I heard it's an application of copyright law that makes a DVD presentation either a "private event", or something that is considered commercial.

The idea is that you can run a DVD in your home, with supposedly no more than a certain amount of people there... like when people gather at your place to watch the Superbowl. You buy the DVD, you own it, and as long as you don't charge admission or run the DVD for large crowds, the purchase is good enough.

If you go over whatever that line is, you now have a commercial venture, which requires a different arrangement with the copyright owner (the studios) in order to use their product to attract people to your place.

It will also cost a heckuvalot more to be "commercial"

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 03 Feb 2009 07:44 #30822

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
The legal constraint is that the group viewing the copyright work must be "a close circle of friends" for the performance to be considered to be private. I suppose such a group might be as large as a couple dozen people, but ultimately it could be up to a court to decide in any particular case. At eight to twelve seats it is less likely that a studio will believe they can convince a court that you're encouraging illegal public performances than at 25 seats.

Alan G

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 05 Feb 2009 16:46 #30830

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
Yea, But 8 seats dont they still require a license to show films?

I from the uk, and if we want to show dvds to members we have to get a film license to show them,

Example film clubs, They must make some cash, renting a dvd and renting a screen to play it on for your family

Re:Microplex Cinemas? 09 Feb 2009 16:08 #30862

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
I don't know about the U.K. In the U.S. an individual may rent or purchase a DVD and show it to his or her "close circle of friends." Where he does that doesn't matter. But be aware, the members of a film club are not a "close circle of friends." A "close circle of friends" know one another and do things together in the ordinary course of their lives, not just as part of a purpose driven organization.

Alan G
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction