Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Were do I begin?

Were do I begin? 25 Jul 2008 20:25 #29605

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Just look at this picture. Were do I begin with the cosmetic renovation with the exterior of this theatre!

[This message has been edited by jacker5 (edited July 25, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by jacker5 (edited July 25, 2008).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Were do I begin? 25 Jul 2008 20:38 #29606

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Another view

Re: Were do I begin? 25 Jul 2008 21:15 #29607

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
you can redo this very nice on the cheap... start with the front side of the marquee..With a bright crisp color with the theater name in big letters..

Re: Were do I begin? 25 Jul 2008 21:58 #29608

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Fill in the cracks in the bricks, especially the diagonal ones.

Cleanup all the mish-mash of wires all over the front of the building.

Pressure wash the exterior.

Paint the place.

Re: Were do I begin? 25 Jul 2008 23:41 #29609

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Should I paint or brickface? Paint may look cheesy and then it will start cracking and become more of a problem. Would it be wiser and cheaper in the long run to consider brickfacing?
And that marque?

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 02:12 #29610

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
jacker5,

Have you recently purchased this theatre?

I was in that town several years ago, and stayed overnight at a motorlodge near the southern end of town. While there, I went to the theatre and saw The Polar Express. It's a nice town, but the theatre needed some TLC.

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 02:20 #29611

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Wow, you could have a lot of fun with this. Obviously, pressure wash the exterior and repair any damaged brick mortar. Now, isn't brickface just a fabricated fake brick looking exterior? It seems like it would be cheaper to paint the brick. Looks like there are already some interesting shapes and patterns in the brick to use in outlining a new color scheme for painting. I would get some fabricated neon & metal letters for the front of the marquee and consider putting up some vertical neon above the marquee to light up the front of the building. It would be cool if those two bottom windows weren't there, they would be the perfect spot for exterior posterboxes.

Just my two cents.

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 08:59 #29612

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Design it so that the people at the stoplights all see what is playing and the showtimes.

How does the inside look?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 09:27 #29613

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
What color should the brick be painted?
The inside is a mess. The auditoriums have burlap on the walls and the screen is concrete.

The lobby has a ticket booth with old style tickets in the middle and the concession is very unflattering!

[This message has been edited by jacker5 (edited July 26, 2008).]

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 10:54 #29614

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
first did you get this theater yet.......2nd are those painted brick now??
never paint the whole building..

Paint the design behind the marquee on the building to mtch the window frames and the letters on the front side of the marquee.

power wask clean the rest..jmo

Re: Were do I begin? 26 Jul 2008 12:30 #29615

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
i have a guy that is in KANSAS ....VERY CHEAP CURTAINS ................AND VERY VERY NICE JOB

Re: Were do I begin? 27 Jul 2008 21:55 #29616

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
It's rather unusual that there is no name on the theatre marquee or anywhere else that I could see, or recall from when I was there last. It was the Diamond Theatre. Is that still the name of it? As others suggested, I would consider putting the name in large letters on the front of the marquee.

However, what I would really suggest is that you try to see what's under the marquee enterior covering. It just might be hiding an attractive old marquee, that could be uncovered, repaired, painted and presto... a much nicer marquee then that rather ugly box that is there now. If there isn't anything hiding underneath, then there are things that can be done to spruce up that unimaginative box. Action lighting in Montana has all kinds of decently priced light channels that could be attached for either stationary or moving lights around the perimeter of the marquee.

This was a handsome old single screen theatre. When it was twinned, they actually built two new auditoriums within the old one. They did something similar to what was done to Mike's theatre in Belfast. A wall was constructed across the width of the theatre about two thirds of the way down to the front and then another wall divided the rear section creating two small auditoriums. The walls were not run up to the original ceiling, but rather a deck was built over them that could support a 2nd floor if the owner wanted to finish off that space for other uses. If you go up into the old balcony, you are looking out over the new auditoriums and can see the front of the original auditorium with it's ornate prosceium arch etc. still there.

Whoever did the twinning back then missed a great opportunity to have a very classy twin theatre. Had they split the auditorium front and back, after building a hallway along one side to get to the front, they would have had two wide auditoriums, both with large screens. The front would still have all the aesthetic character of the original, and the rear one could have been finished off nicely as well with a wall to wall screen curtain.

When I stayed overnight at the motorlodge, I asked the fellow at the front desk where do folks go to the movies in this community. He said they go to a multiplex in DuBois, a good distance away. He said that there is a theatre here, but adults don't go there as it is a mess and is overrun by kids.

I went anyway, as I like old theatres, and as it was a weeknight early in December there were only a few people there. I therefore can not give any credence to the desk clerks remarks as to the behavior of its patrons, but the theatre was in need of much housekeeping and repairs. Presentation, although fine once underway, was not exactly professional looking in the least.

So it appears that there is a lot that must be done to overcome the reputation, and physical shortcomings at this theatre to bring it back, but I believe that it can be done. My theatre was much the same when I acquired it back in 1970, so I know what you'll be going through.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited July 28, 2008).]

Re: Were do I begin? 04 Aug 2008 10:41 #29617

• JKR Partners
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The existing building and brickwork is very handsome and will provide a pleasant backdrop to what I feel should be a new/or refaced marquee along with some type of integral vertical signage element. This new marquee and signage element should be designed in such a way that it creates a new presence for the theater while at the same time being sensitive to the character of the existing building. If the existing brick is the color depicted on the photo, a good cleaning and pointing will be fine. I can provide you with contact information for a quality signage company if interested.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction