Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design New Theater Floor Plans
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Theater Floor Plans

New Theater Floor Plans 25 May 2008 22:12 #29578

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
I have search the forum and I can't find any info on floor plans for a new theater.

Does anyone know what the proper height of a cinema should be? What angle of a slopped floor do you need to have? Is it best to build new or is converting an existing building better or more feasible?

If anyone can point me in the right direction for more info, I would appreciate it. I don't mind doing my homework. It's just where to look to get started.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 26 May 2008 10:29 #29579

• NSCInemas
  • Expert Boarder
There is a theatre architect that usually is pretty good about answering questions in this forum. I forget the firm but they give very good answers, and explanations, and are very helpful. I am sure they will answer your questions as soon as they notice.

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 27 May 2008 16:22 #29580

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Your ceiling height depends on the type of seating you want to do. For a sloped floor (which should drop about 4-5 feet by the time it reaches the screen area) you'll need about 15 feet. For stadium seating it will have to be higher (perhaps 25 feet). It will be less expensive to convert a building than to go from the ground up. I am in the process of negotiating to convert a former retail space with an 11 1/2 foot ceiling using a flat floor with staggered seating. The screen will be about 7 x 18 which means it will be about 4 feet off the floor. I'll seat 80.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 27 May 2008 20:04 #29581

• sheri6363
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Bob, When you say staggered do you mean a series of flat platforms or stadium? I am looking at an identical situation. Or are you saying a flat floor and the seats are staggered? Why not slope with a plywood deck?

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 28 May 2008 01:19 #29582

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
The seats are staggered. With an 11 1/2 ceiling there isn't enough room to put a sloped floor over the flat floor (I don't want to pay to have it excavated either even if they would let me) or to build stadium steps. Seven rows of 11 seats off-set with aisles down each side. The seats will be bolted to the existing concrete floor.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited May 28, 2008).]
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 28 May 2008 09:35 #29583

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Could you do a low stadium where there is only one step between each row? A stansard step is 6 or 7 inches right?

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 28 May 2008 12:50 #29584

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
No. For two reasons. The booth floor will be elevated only 3 1/2 feet which will make the beam about 7 feet off the floor and Oregon law requires a 7 1/2 foot ceiling in booths. So to put any risers on the floor will put customers in the beam. Also one of the major demographics I'm trying to reach is seniors who are not all that interested in climbing any stairs.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 28 May 2008 23:23 #29585

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
Here is another question. What would be the cheapest way to build? Block building, steel structure or ?

A friend of mine has a swimming pool / excavating company. He does in ground pools and has been doing this for about 30yrs. I thought about talking to him on the concrete part. I am sure he would know how to slope a floor since he does it for pools. A few years back he built a convenience store out of block. The store looked real nice and professionally done. I am going to be speaking with him about this idea and see what he says.

How much do you think it would cost to build a 150 seat single screen theater? Assuming I have all the equipment (film) except for the sound system.

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited May 29, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Shaboomers (edited May 29, 2008).]

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 29 May 2008 10:25 #29586

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
To really make it business-wise, you need more than one screen.

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 29 May 2008 12:33 #29587

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
C'mon Ken, we both know there are single screeners running successfully. It just depends on his location, the product he books and his promotion of that product. BTW, is that twin still sitting idle in Port Orchard?

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 29 May 2008 23:24 #29588

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The Plaza Twin reopened a few months ago as an arthouse and the theater got a name change:
http://www.orchardtheater.com/

Re: New Theater Floor Plans 30 May 2008 07:16 #29589

• Shaboomers
  • Junior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Layton:
To really make it business-wise, you need more than one screen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My plan would be for a twin screen but just wanted to get a base idea so I thought I would see what the estimate cost on a single screen.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction