Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Architect Fees

Architect Fees 27 Jul 2007 12:08 #29381

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have received a proposal from an architect to provide services for a renovation project which includes bringing an old theater up to code (closed for 12 years), making exterior repairs, splitting some space out to make a second screen, creating ADA restrooms and other accessibility features, creating an expanded concession and eating area, adding a sprinkler system, and renovating the facade. The architect is going to start by creating "as builts" and provide all necessary drawings, elevations, plans, and construction documents of all kinds. This includes necessary engineering services. They will also oversee the bidding process. Construction observation is not included and would be additional.

The firm providing this proposal had previously told me that they work off a percentage, usually 6%, but when I got the proposal it was a flat $10,000. I had expressed to them that I wanted to do it within a specified budget and would like to do some of the work myself wherever possible. They have not yet provided me an estimate of the total project cost. The architect is out for the weekend.

I'm just wondering, is this a good deal? I believe that this project, although it sounds quite involved is not really as extensive as it seems. Many of the necessary walls and other structural elements are already in place. The biggest issues will revolve around plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems. I'm thinking that $10,000 will probably be somewhat more than 6% of the project cost. Is he charging a flat rate because the whole thing is a bigger pain in the neck than his typical project? Is he thinking like me that the actual cost is not going to be so much, so he is asking for some kind of minimum for the trouble?

I would really like some feedback from somebody who knows more about the world of architects. Maybe our new moderator would like to comment? Or perhaps someone who has hired an architect for a similar project?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Architect Fees 27 Jul 2007 13:17 #29382

• JKR Partners
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I would suggest that you first talk to a contractor that you would consider hiring to discuss construction costs associated with the anticipated scope of work. It seems to me that the work is extensive enough that you should have at least a construction cost estimate in hand. This may help you rethink the scope of work prior to getting to far into the project. As an example, the cost to install a sprinkler system alone can run $3 to $4 a square foot (at the low end).
Secondly, you should ask your architect to give you a breakdown of his proposal including line items for his services as well as any engineering services. This breakdown can reflect the different pieces of the renovation project should you decide not to address all the items at once. This will also help you to know exactly what it is you are paying for.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction