Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design building new drive in
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: building new drive in

building new drive in 22 May 2007 14:00 #29331

hello,
my partner and i are looking to build a drive in movie theater by us in pennsylvania and we would like to get some help and guidance on what to do first. We would like to know where, who and how to contact to get the new latest films that are out, and how does it work do you give them a percentage of ticket sales or something? and can we get a digital projection system for it so we dont have to get film? And is there anyone who would come and install it for us and also how do you get it to be satellite to play on your local fm am stations so wires do not have to run for speakers? If someone can get us information and started that would be fantastic, and much appreicated, thank you for your time and help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: building new drive in 22 May 2007 21:29 #29332

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
You have the answers right here on this forum.

My advice: spend at least 30-40 hours reading every single post that you can. In the upper left corner you will need to change the time frame to include all topics.

I believe almost all of your questions will be answered after you read the db.

Do not want to sound mean, but the bulk of forum contributers expect you to do your homework first.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Re: building new drive in 22 May 2007 22:11 #29333

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
One thing i hate about this site is when a new person has a question its the rude look it up ....Some guidance would be nice.....

I would go to some of the drive in sites MATTRPARTON there are some good ones ..ther also books at those sites for sale ...Google drive ins and there will be lots of info as well as this site...

Re: building new drive in 22 May 2007 23:40 #29334

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Your point is well taken, Slap.

Unfortunately, there are far too many new registrants here, that use their first post to ask for information that many of us have spent years, if not decades accumulating. On the surface, that could also be construed as being a bit forward.

As you've experienced here, the basic answers to the obvious question, "how do I do it" tend to be quite lengthy. To cut and paste basically the same responses every time someone here asks us how to start a theatre would not only be overly repetitive, but would burn up a lot of hard drive space.

I wouldn't mind at all, talking with mattrparton about his interests, being a drive-in owner myself. However, I think I've also responded to my share of people who have asked the very same question, and the general answers tend to be about the same.

I don't think it's unreasonable or rude to ask new members to look around a bit first. If the devil is in the suggestion, perhaps what this board needs is a locked topic called, "Want to build/open an indoor/outdoor theatre? Start here first!" If the person with the questions were to do that, then address the general membership, I'd certainly vote for that as a great idea!

Re: building new drive in 23 May 2007 09:42 #29335

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
"this board needs is a locked topic called, "Want to build/open an indoor/outdoor theatre? Start here first!"

Excellent idea rodeojack. I second that idea for the board.

Re: building new drive in 23 May 2007 09:48 #29336

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodeojack:
<B>
As you've experienced here, the basic answers to the obvious question, "how do I do it" tend to be quite lengthy. To cut and paste basically the same responses every time someone here asks us how to start a theatre would not only be overly repetitive, but would burn up a lot of hard drive space.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Jack. It does get tiresome answering the same questions over and over.

Anyway, to the original poster:
For the mechanics/design of a drive go to www.driveinworkshop.com

For the operation of a drivein or indoor theater, see the many posts already here on this forum. Be sure to set the default topic view to "show all topics".

Re: building new drive in 23 May 2007 14:10 #29337

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Don't forget the Drive-In Theatre Owner's Association's website @ www.uditoa.org .

There is an FAQ page that answers many of the same questions asked.

I've always found this site to be a good place to learn some of the "business" side of the movie business, while www.film-tech.com to be the place for the more technical side of things.

One thing we learned after we opened our drive-in... "The movie business is alot more about business than it is about movies."
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: building new drive in 23 May 2007 18:22 #29338

Thank you very much for all your help, Im sorry if Ive been the thousandth person to ask this question, but I do appreicate the feedback and thank you for your help. -Matt

Re: building new drive in 31 May 2007 11:06 #29339

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I'm sorry. It was not rude. I am a professional who makes part of my living running movie theatres. I can just see if I ran into a construction site and started asking the exec incredibly basic questions? "Do I need a hammer?" "Where do I go to get a truck?" etc. etc. Get my drift?.... I think that the people here are incredibly patient with newbies. The fact is that there is a professional expectation by us that a newbie will break a slight sweat and do a little lifting. TIf they will not there is no point in answering as I, and most of you, are far too busy. The basics have all been answered and in fact: look at the first topic in the forums: "freg asked questions" That's where you start. If you are considering a 300,000.00-1 million investment you ought to be willing to work hard at the git go.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: building new drive in 31 May 2007 14:15 #29340

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry Mike i dont agree ...This site is great but for new people starting out in the bsns it can be a challenge.. Seems to me lots of times a little help or guiding people is better than telling them look it up....

Re: building new drive in 31 May 2007 22:03 #29341

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Maybe... but we've recently had a person or two (or 20) who've shown an obvious lack of experience and knowledge about our business, at the same time being fairly insulting about people IN the business, who's theatres they were sure they'd be walking into. In short order, it was clear they had no money, no assets, no experience, little practical knowledge, but strong opinions that making the local theatre a better place wouldn't be more complicated than just putting them at the helm. People like this pop up in here frequently, and ask for lots of everyones' time.

I went back into the archives today, searching with simple terms, like "how to", "want to", "build a new", etc. Going back to 2002, there are too many to count. However, just going back to '04, many of the opening questions are by people with few, if any previous posts, In many cases, even going back that far, the first answer suggests a search through the archives first.

I don't have the time to separate the sincere from the lazy... the studious from someone who thinks they can do what we do with little more effort than some time with a computer and "google".

This discussion board is a great resource, as are other sites on the internet. Like a library, the information here is available with just a little effort on the part of the user. I'm with Mike. If the user won't even take the time to look around a bit before asking the most basic questions, he doesn't need sympathy or encouragement.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited May 31, 2007).]

Re: building new drive in 31 May 2007 22:22 #29342

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I am sorry slap, but this website is very user friendly, quick to navigate, etc. One can read quite a bit in as little as 30-40 hours. Which IMO, is not an unreasonable request.

Re: building new drive in 31 May 2007 22:31 #29343

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I agree with rodeojack and Mike.

For myself I usually don't read any further if the first question is "Where do I get the movies?" Like someone posted awhile back. "The movie business is 10% movies and 90% business". Great line!

I also notice a surge in these how do I start a movie theater questions, at specific times of the year. And that is the summer blockbuster season, and the winter blockbuster season. People see the crowds during these busy times. And the dollar signs start flashing in their heads. But are unaware mostly of the many slow times we have to live with in this business.

And now there is a third factor that gets peoples attention to get in the biz. And that is all the press attention Digital Projection is getting. Many of these articles make the business sound so simple and easy. Doing it the Digital way.

Re: building new drive in 01 Jun 2007 00:02 #29344

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
My entire motivation for starting bigscreenbiz was that in 95 when I started there was no place to get the information we now take completely for granted. I heard there was an ex angry Burger King Employees web site and thought "why not us?" Meanwhile I would cold call every exhibitor featued in Boxoffice Mag or Film Journal and always found them very helpful. Very generous. It is a hard biz to break into. Very arcane. No documentaion to truly speak of. Until bigscreen. Anyone can learn more in a few hours, or let's say 4 hours, than it took me a couple of years of experience to gather. And you can ask for help, if you ask an informed question that shows a bit of understanding and having done a modicum (now that's a word) of research and you get resposes from people from all ove the US, NZ,,, Aussies, European's and a few Baltic thrown in. It is absolutely wonderful.

That said: are some folks a bit abrubt? Yes. But I have never felt that anyone would not help someone. Try asking for help in the NY diamond district and see your reception.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: building new drive in 01 Jun 2007 02:15 #29345

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
If one thinks this way they should ignor the post and let those who want to help do so ...Then there is no need for the look it up line...Rude.......
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction