Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drive-ins

Drive-ins 22 Mar 2007 15:45 #29273

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
Very curious how many of you out there have drive-ins, your own or just have one in your market? We have a couple where I live that hang on in the summers but one of them is in bad shape. Does anyone have any idea how profitable a drive-in would be if they had to close for the summer, in a region of about 45K people?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Drive-ins 22 Mar 2007 23:16 #29274

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I assume you mean "close for the WINTER"?

Drive-ins have been on the upswing over the past 5 years or so. Some have dropped off, a few have been built. Those who've hung on seem to be doing OK.

45K people should be enough to do fairly well. I have a friend who's in a market of about 25k

Best to have at least 2 screens. 3's even better, but anything over 1.

Any idea why the one you're talking about is in bad shape?

Re: Drive-ins 29 Mar 2007 08:58 #29275

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodeojack:
<B>

Any idea why the one you're talking about is in bad shape?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same family has owned it for decades. It took a turn for the worse in the early 80's, specializing in X-Rated films. This phase passed and they've been getting some first runs over the past decade, showing double features. The sound needs updating, the speaker boxes are the same ones they've had since the 70s. You cannot tune in your radio at this particular drive-in. The concession building is pretty antiquated and the old marquee is in desperate need of a makeover.
They still get crowds during the summer and twice a year they get big $$ to park campers for a huge sporting event in the area--they even provide showers in a little building they own that sits under the screen. They rent part of the building to a couple small businesses. Due to the sporting event, the land the drive-in sits on is considered prime real estate and I'm really surprised they have not try to sell. I've got a real soft place in my heart for this old drive-in, I've been going there since infancy! I'd love to see it updated.

Re: Drive-ins 29 Mar 2007 10:16 #29276

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Aside from the fact that the owners might just be getting tired...

The switch to XXX wasn't all that uncommon with drive-ins, though it started earlier than what you're saying about this one.

Property values are a real problem for some drive-ins. As communities spread out, they frequently encircle drive-ins that once were safely "out in the sticks". It can make it pretty tough when a "big box" company comes in and offers an owner enough to retire comfortably for the rest of his life... and maybe that of his children.

Re: Drive-ins 04 Apr 2007 16:38 #29277

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like Bristol, TN to me... might be wrong??
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction