Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marque

Marque 24 Dec 2006 12:27 #29220

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I am looking to do My marque over in Northern Pa.
Any one suggest a place that does them and what should I go for. It is a twin on main street and has the over hang type that protects the patrons in bad weather but it is so old and worn, looking for other options from scratch.
Should I keep the original type or go for the flat against the building type? I know there's a big difference in price but how much.
Need a site so I can look and see different types!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Marque 24 Dec 2006 14:40 #29221

There are many threads about "marquees" in the archives.

Have a look.
Since 1987

Re: Marque 24 Dec 2006 18:27 #29222

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Don't remove that marquee that overhangs the sidewalk if at all possible. Not only does it protect your patrons, but advertises your theatre and it's product in a way that a flat attraction board will never be able to accomplish. Your theatre will practically disappear when you remove the present marquee. It will look no different then any other business on main street, The marquee is what makes your theatre stand out among all the other business' located there. I'm sure most of them wish they had one as well.

Also depending upon what sign ordinances your community has, you may not be able to replace it once it's gone, should you change your mind later.

Give it a lot of thought before removing it.

Re: Marque 25 Dec 2006 06:35 #29223

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Roxy is right: the only reason that you may now have a projecting marquee is due to 'Grandfathering' which allows things originating before an ordinance was passed to remain until the date of demise, whereupon the newer ordinance takes effect. If it looks a little shabby now, have it re-clad, with or without new lights or attraction boards. Likely the structural steel is still sound, but don't let it get to the state that anything is falling from it, or competitors or neighbors will be quick to complain to the city inspectors that your sign is unsafe and needs to come down. This could set into motion a long and expensive series of legal events that will result in more loss to you than the price of a marquee.

And Roxy is also right about the uniqueness of a projecting marquee today. Ever since the 1950s when they went out of style among civic arbiters of taste, only a few grandfathered ones have survived, but to many, they are the traditional sign and sight of a movie theatre, and therefore a kind of advertising you could not buy.

There are any number of larger sign companies that will gladly take on such a job, and if all you want is a re-cladding with aluminum and plastic, then likely a small local sign shop will take it on by farming out the fabrications needed. Wagner Electric sign Co. ( http://www.wagnersign.com/home.html ) is perhaps the most well known for theatre work, but has dozens of competitors across the land, such as Everbrite, which made and installed the 12-story high Vertical Sign and marquee on Milwaukee's RIVERSIDE in 1929. ( http://www.everbrite.com/products/index.html ) Best Wishes on the project. --Jim

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited December 25, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited December 25, 2006).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction