Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: sound proofing

sound proofing 30 Oct 2006 11:05 #29141

• bmozer
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm starting a twin theater and will be splitting one big room into two small theaters (80 seater, 50 seater) and am having trouble with the sound proofing problem. my architect says i need to take the dividing sound proof wall all the way to the roof deck or else there will be too much sound transfer. now the ceiling is insulated with R-38 and I'm thinking if i double drywall the ceilings the transfer will be minimum as to not necessitate demoing the existing ceiling and building that wall all the way up, especially sinceall the movies i show will be independent/foreign and not have many loud scenes.

am i crazy?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: sound proofing 30 Oct 2006 22:24 #29142

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Of course you're not crazy, just proactive. Do a search in the archives here- there are some excellent discussions on the topic of soundproofing including some great "recipes" for the best ways to build up a wall for a case such as yours. The best of luck to you!
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: sound proofing 07 Nov 2006 13:18 #29143

• tom rither
  • Fresh Boarder
Your Question on sound proofing is not dominated by the r- value ( r-38) but by the sound transmission rate or s.t.c.
You might have a insulated cieling but the sound might bounce around in the attic area and may be a problem.
You might try to blow in more insulation in the cieling area.
Tom rither

Re: sound proofing 07 Nov 2006 14:09 #29144

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Independent/foreign ? Quiet like Run Lola Run or Pulp Fiction or .........

my point is: indie and foreign are just as noisy as any movie. Part of your job is to insure that your guests/clients/viewers get the movie they paid for and not the loud parts of the movie in the next room.

You have to stoip the film sound from coming through. Is there a drop ceiling. What is the ceiling?

If it's a sheet rocked/permaent ceil you should be okay and if you are not you can always shoot foam. Build it. Crank the tunes and see if you can hear it in the next room. If you can. You need more.

twin seperated walls of 2x4 with fiberglass insulation , 2 layers of sheetrock on each exterior wall, one dead airspace between the two walls, and caulk all cracks should do it.

If you are going to spend all the money to build a theatre don't cut it short on the sound materials.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction