Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AC/Heat central

AC/Heat central 27 May 2006 14:09 #29061

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

The theater I am going to purchase needs a lot of renovations.
As of now the 2 auditoriums have tow AC units in the front under the screen. These are household units about 18,000 BTU that cool the theater but make noise and is an eye sore.
Plus now there are concrete screens that are small and at a bad eye level. I am planning on putting bigger and regular screens but afraid that the air from the AC will warp the screens by being so close to them.
Also the heating system is done by heating up the auditoriums with propane heaters in the front of the theater in each auditorium an hour before they open.
Works well but smells and don't know about fire codes on that! How much would a commercial central air/heating unit cost.
Very rough figures would be appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: AC/Heat central 28 May 2006 00:07 #29062

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
roughly..lots. We just put some in our cinemas and they were roughly $20,000 each.. thats Aussie Dollars

Re: AC/Heat central 29 May 2006 08:34 #29063

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Jacker5, it sounds as though the previous owner created an almost primative situation and now with your new ownership it is unlikely the officials will tolerate it! Your best bet is to call in a commercial HVAC contractor to do a drawing and estimate for you in writing. Yes, it will be expensive, but I think you rather guessed that.

And, no, your new screens will not like anything blowing on them since that turns them into 'smudge arrestors' and there is enough hassle keeping screens clean! And who wants "smelly" heating?! Not any real exhibitor. Let the HVAC guys compete in bids to alieveiate your problems, and make sure that they know that they are competing! You might even offer advertising rights to the lowest bidder.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: AC/Heat central 29 May 2006 12:46 #29064

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree with jimor. We did have to have a new HVAC unit installed about 2 years ago. I understand that it was $7,000. That probably included the crane necesary to lift it into place but did not cover all the interior ductwork which was already in place (substandard original design unfortunately). Make sure that your HVAC contractors properly locate the cold air returns and don't try to heat/cool more than one theater with a single unit. It is a recipe for customer dissatisfaction.

Re: AC/Heat central 29 May 2006 20:42 #29065

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
When I redid my theater a couple of years ago (single screen about 130 seats) we put two 2-ton furnaces/AC units behind the screen and then ran the duct run along the ceiling on either side from the screen to the rear of the theater. The cold air returns are right under the screen, which I thought might be distracting, but isn't. It actually cools very well and heat has never been a problem here.

[This message has been edited by leeler (edited May 29, 2006).]
"What a crazy business"

Re: AC/Heat central 29 May 2006 22:30 #29066

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Get a couple bids from different mechanical contractors. Try to get a reference from someone you know and trust on a contractor(s). If you are doina ANY other work in the buildng that will be inspected, you will be busted on the HVAC (especially as it is). If you are using a general contractor you trust, let him/her recommend an HVAC contractor. I've renvated and converted more than my fair share of buildings/theaters and the HVAC has always been the most potentially expensive part. The contractor will know the codes. Very little sucks as much as trying to get open and getting busted for something you tried to sneak past or didn't know. There will be codes that will determine the tonage of the unit you will need. You should be able to get a decent roof top model installed for less than $10k. If you are doing your own general contracting, make sure the HVAC is done before the electrical or plumbing people run something thru a wall you wanted to run a duct thru. Don't ask how I know about that...
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction