Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Floor glaze and tile use
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Floor glaze and tile use

Floor glaze and tile use 03 Apr 2006 14:09 #29022

Hello,

Just a couple of questions:

1. If you wanted to use a ceramic/porcelain floor tile (the large 12"x12" ones) in a movie theatre, can you glaze or wax them so that they're more durable, and so that the entire floor surface in the whole lobby is even (no dips in grout)?

2. Is there some type of product (like a foam insulation) that you can dye a deep azure colour and spray all over your open rafter ceiling? This would be a visual effect, but would also provide some reduction in heat and cooling loss).
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Floor glaze and tile use 03 Apr 2006 17:10 #29023

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
1. I would use decorative concrete for the floor. Easy to clean and no grout lines. I also happen to like the way it looks.

2. Although I don't like the way they look, dropped ceilings are a wonderful way to accomplish a great deal in a theatre. You can hide wire runs up there, install cleaning lights, route HVAC ducts and install insulation. Also most drop ceiling tiles have the appropriate noise characteristics a theatre is looking for. One theatre I worked in had fiberglass and drywall above the drop ceiling. And of course you can get them in any color, dark blue being a good choice for a theatre.

Re: Floor glaze and tile use 04 Apr 2006 07:59 #29024

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
You've got to be careful about using glaze or wax that might make the tile floor even slipperier. Safety always comes first and is a prime consideration to reduce falls and resulting law suits. Grout uneveness can be a headache, and possibly a sealant can be applied to just the grout lines after they are redone to uniform height, but you must be sure that the sealant does not glaze the tile surfaces, which could be an invisible hazard! These are the reasons that I recommend good outdoor-grade carpeting glued down with a strippable glue. You might find it a solutionn to tile problems if glued right over them. True, tile looks great, but is sometimes a hazard. Check the FAQs and Archives here to see other discussions about this. (And remember that every type of flooring has some sort of problem under high traffic, so don't obsess about a choice.)
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Floor glaze and tile use 06 Apr 2006 00:36 #29025

Ian,

For the exposed rafters, I should have mentioned that these were both (including the tile) for the lobby.

The tiles, which I haven't been able to find on the web, would be really nice ceramic or whatever tiles, but if it was possible to varythane or seal it, then you could have a completely even floor that wouldn't have ridges, and would be strong enough to support staff wheeling stock to food outlets.
Since 1987

Re: Floor glaze and tile use 06 Apr 2006 12:12 #29026

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A properly laid tile floor is practically indestructible. That's why they are in every mall, bathroom and commercial kitchen in North America. I'm just bored by tile and by grout lines. As I type this my buns are sitting on my tile floor in my living room. If I were doing a new build, I would do a stained, polished concrete floor. Then if you don't like it, you can tile or carpet it later.

If you have an exposed rafter ceiling in your lobby, don't fix it, feature it. It is one of my favorite looks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction