Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design New guy needs help....
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy needs help....

New guy needs help.... 27 Feb 2006 04:06 #29011

• theman093
  • Fresh Boarder
The subject really says it all. A small group of people are looking to open (reopen) a small movie theater with a little bit of that independent edge to it. We currently have our eyes on a theater that's been closed down for roughly 10 years now....and in that time, it's been little more than a storage facility for the current owner. The theater was a bit dumpy 10 years ago, but due to a decade of neglect, we need to start from scratch as far as screens, projection equipment, seating, etc. The problem is that we're finding it a bit difficult to locate companies that sell such items beyond the home theater capacity. So basically, if anyone out there can point me in the direction of an affordable company where I can purchase all or any of these things, I would probably sign over my first born child. Especially for the screens and seating....projectors seem to have been rather easy to locate. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New guy needs help.... 27 Feb 2006 09:07 #29012

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I redid my closed down theater in 2003 with lots of help from Midwest Cinema out of Des Moines. I'm not sure where you're located but they did a great job for me and the price was reasonable. Seats we ran into by happenstance but I know there are lots of used seats out there. Try the classifieds on this site.

Good luck and don't forget to take lots of "before" pictures.
"What a crazy business"

Re: New guy needs help.... 27 Feb 2006 16:14 #29013

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
If you're anywhere in the West go to American Cinema Equipment in Portland, Oregon. Scott Hicks and his staff have been very helpful in a couple of projects I planned (but never got off the ground). They also have an office in the LA area.

Tankersley Enterprises in Denver has plenty of seats starting at just $25 each.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited February 27, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited March 01, 2006).]
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: New guy needs help.... 27 Feb 2006 18:51 #29014

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'll second the endorsement for American Cinema. Even though we are in Maine ACE has the best service of any company I have used. Scott is also very good technician-I don't think you will go wrong with them.

Re: New guy needs help.... 01 Mar 2006 01:05 #29015

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Scott Hicks at ACE rocks. That's been said. He will also turn you onto seats that are getting freed up at other theaters. If you use him, and ask him if he knows where you can get seats cheap, he's the man that would know what and where. Other sources of seats are churches, schools, building supply recycle places. Your film booker also will have a handle on what's closing down and who might talk to you about the seats. Several times a year I hear of seats for free or cheap. Don't be afraid of mixing styles of seats if you can only get small lots. All five of my auds have up to six different styles of seats. Something for everyone. Basically get the word out what you need and you might be surprised by what comes your way.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: New guy needs help.... 01 Mar 2006 12:00 #29016

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
go to showest in 2 weeks at Las Vegas: everyone will be there.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction