Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Seniors hate stadium seating ?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seniors hate stadium seating ?

Seniors hate stadium seating ? 02 Oct 2005 19:03 #28929

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I know this has been discussed before but
I was wondering if there was any hard data that shows older people not liking stadium seating? In my own theater the one screen we have retrofitted has been liked by a majority of customers across all ages. A number of Seniors have said specifically how much they liked the viewing experience in the stadium house. If there are any poll numbers I would be interested in seeing the results-Thanks

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 03 Oct 2005 10:31 #28930

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I've never seen any figures compiled, but I know that the efforts to get people to climb up into the balconies and loges of older days got to the point of the ridiculous to make such seating work. Look at the case of the long-lost MARBRO in Chicago: a double sided, double flight, split level flying staircase that brought its marble glory up three stories! This may be a far cry from cinema stadium seating, but it shows what the early designers knew was necessary to entice people away from the main floor so that they could sell some of those seats that had great views.

Look at any older person closely from a distance, and you will notice their legs wobble slightly as they move, but especially as they try to climb steps. For those of the elderly who are more spry, the steps may be no big deal, but for most elderly and the very young (not to touch the hot topic of wheel chairs) steps are something to be avoided! Yes, I like stadium seating's sight lines too, but then my legs work, so far, (though my heart and lungs are failing), so steps may work for this old bird for a while, but for how many others? If your only aim is teenagers, then don't fret; they will gladly climb anything!

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited October 03, 2005).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 03 Oct 2005 19:55 #28931

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
OK: Lets assume that those under 30 love Stadium and those patrons over 70 hate the steps. What does that vast group of 30 to 70 prefer for a moviegoing experince?

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 04 Oct 2005 01:12 #28932

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Depends if one is observing the movie or cleaning the auditorium.

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 04 Oct 2005 10:16 #28933

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a balcony in my theatre.

The seniors all climb the stairs to look at it nostalgically but then go down and sit on the main floor.

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 04 Oct 2005 21:36 #28934

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
Muviebuf,
I find that comment about the balcony interesting. My theater in Skowhegan is a vintage 1929 classic. We have recently renovated the entire theater and reserve the balcony for those 18 and older. The adults love being away from the kids. I would say 3 out of 4 adult customers sit in the balcony. I would guess 3 out of 5 Seniors prefer the balcony as well. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. I wonder if this is an aberation or am I reading the customer wrong?

Re: Seniors hate stadium seating ? 06 Oct 2005 12:49 #28935

• RonOne50
  • Senior Boarder
I know of one chain that charges a premium for people to sit in the balcony the regular admission price is 7.00 and the balcony price is 10.00. I don’t know how you change the price by where someone sits or how you report that to the film company but they do it. The seats are individual rocker with swivel seats in the balcony and they serve drinks in the balcony with “wait” person coming and taking orders during the show. No one under 21 allowed in the balocny area even with an adult.

Quentin: Of course a woman is going to kill me. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Quentin: Of course a woman is going to kill me. I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction