Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Question on Handicaped Access.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question on Handicaped Access.

Question on Handicaped Access. 26 May 2005 10:25 #28887

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
If I play the real hot movies like STARS WARS on two of my screens, is it really necessary to build access for the handicapped to my belcony? They don't usually ask to up there but I'm mostly interested in what the building code would be on something like that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question on Handicaped Access. 27 May 2005 16:28 #28888

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are asking what the law is (both statute and case), then go to a lawyer in your area. If you are asking whether or not your place will be affected, that is harder to answer. True, most handicapped will not demand to go to the balcony if they see no elevator nor ramps up to there, but that doesn't mean that you could not get some zealot in who is only too eager to sue! What will the courts in your area say to a theatre that provides adequate handicapped seating on the main floor but not the balcony? That will depend upon how tightly written the law is and how activist your local judges tend to be. All anyone can really say is, Best Wishes.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Question on Handicaped Access. 01 Jun 2005 12:28 #28889

• RonOne50
  • Senior Boarder
The ADA states that you can't be made to do cost prohibitive reworks on existing structures but it really is vague on new facilities. Reasonable access what most laws says but that is open to interpretation. I agree you need a lawer to tell you what you need for the area.
Quentin: Of course a woman is going to kill me. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Re: Question on Handicaped Access. 01 Jun 2005 16:32 #28890

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
In Maine: if you exceed 150,000.00 then everything must come into compliance. We avoided it in our 4 small balconies by not hitting those #'s. Also: our bathrooms in the Colonial are downstairs and we have not had to make those accessible as we do not have room in our main lobby for a rest room.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction