Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs

new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs 15 Apr 2005 11:54 #28866

• nonprofit
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all! I've been reading this bigscreen.com like a textbook for several months now, but this is my first post.

I'm currently establishing a non-profit 2-screen art theater in a mid-size town (800,000 metro area) with only one other 1-screen art movie theater, which is frequently forced to play commercial films. The project is part of a larger plan- some close friends of mine will be my landlords, and they're building a concert venue and bar, several retail shops, a restaurant, and apartments along with the theater on the same lot in a developing area close to downtown. We're currently working with a development corporation and my friends have chosen an architecture firm that's working on the building, but I will be responsible for for the build-out. Here are the preliminary specs their architects have laid down for the building:

1. Independent Film Theater
a. 200 seat theater
i. 2 story space
ii. 2,270 s.f.
iii. 38”-40” between seats
iv. 12’H x 28’W (2.4:1 format screens)
v. Continental seating
vi. Room proportions 9:6:4 (L:W:H)
b. 90 seat theater
i. 2 story ???
ii. 1,395 s.f.
iii. 38”-40” between seats
iv. 2.4:1 format screens
v. Continental seating
vi. Room proportions 9:6:4 (L:W:H)
c. Projection Booth
i. 230 s.f.
ii. This will be shared if the theaters are back to back.
d. Lobby/Concessions/Tickets
i. 1,200 s.f.
e. Restrooms
i. 285 s.f.
f. Maintenance/Storage
i. 200 s.f.
ii. Could be in a basement
g. Offices
i. 150 s.f. private office
ii. 850 s.f. office pool
iii. Probably above lobby
iv. Connection to projection booth

Does everything look alright here? is there any other preliminary specifications that are essential that i should include? Anything I'm missing? If you were building from the ground up (with limited space!), what would your wish-list look like?

In the current layout, the lobby (including restrooms) is a vertical space, sandwiched between the entrance to the 2 theaters and a wall that's shared with a warehouse space. The lobby has entrances on either end, one on the street side and the other on the parking side in the back. I'm a little concerned about this design, because it makes it extremely difficult to figure out where to place the box office and concessions. Also, it might necessitate more ushers. Does anyone else have two entrances on opposite ends of the lobby? Can this work? There will be several buildings sharing walls and space is pretty tight. If you had to make a choice would you prefer seperate projection booths and a one-entrance horizontal lobby, or the option of having back-to back theaters that share a projection booth? Budget is definitely a concern!

I really appreciate everything I've learned here, it's been a terrific education. Thank you, everyone, for sharing the knowledge you've gained from years of experience. It's incredibly generous. This is a great site; it's been extraordinarily valuable.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs 28 Apr 2005 10:10 #28867

• RonOne50
  • Senior Boarder
Okay on the 2 entrances to the lobby I would suggest that you make one an exit only. It would require two boxoffices for you to do the with them both as entrance to the lobby, 2 ushers and this defeats the purpose of having multi screens in one locations. If you have to have two people selling tickets at least have them in the same part of the building where you need them to move people.
Quentin: Of course a woman is going to kill me. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Re: new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs 28 Apr 2005 11:23 #28868

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
one projection room and one lobby

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs 28 Apr 2005 14:44 #28869

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
You mean you have to specifically designate a theatre as non-profit? Just build one from scratch...

One lobby, one main entrance. You only have 290 seats, so use tensbarriers or velvet ropes to steer the people to the concession stand. Don't let them get in unless they go by the stand, even non-profits need to break even. One booth as Mike mentioned. Have fun
lance

Re: new 2-screen art theater: preliminary specs 28 Apr 2005 15:50 #28870

• nonprofit
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks so much lance, mike & ron. I did get the architects to tweak the plan & now we only have one entrance and a lobby that leads people straight past concessions to get to the theaters.

really appreciate the advice!

best,
Rachel
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction