Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Construction Costs in Existing Building
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Construction Costs in Existing Building

Construction Costs in Existing Building 24 Oct 2004 12:53 #28805

• izod
  • Junior Boarder
Hey everyone. I've got the business plan all finished up, but I wanted to get some advice on building costs for modifying an old grocery store into a theater. I've estimated $50 per square foot, excluding equipment, seating, and concession stand equipment. Am I low, high, or right on? It will be a vanilla shell when we go in, so there won't be any demolition costs. My second cousin is also a retired commercial construction project manager, so I may bring him down to help out. Hopefully I'll hear back from the guys at Mesbur Smith to get the price on designing it. We'll be looking at around 40,000 square feet (around $8+cam a foot for the lease, which shouldnt be too bad). Good parking. We're looking at two sites, actually, within the same area. Just need to make sure I'm not low or highballing. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by izod (edited October 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by izod (edited October 24, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 27 Oct 2004 20:53 #28806

• filmguy
  • Junior Boarder
How many screens? Or was that covered in another thread? At any rate, with that much footage, and the number of screens you could put in there, $50/sq sounds a little cheap for anything over 5 or 6 screens. There are many challenges that go along with building conversions that can make the price go very close to that of new construction. Having a contractor experienced in theatre construction can be priceless when determining feasibility. Good luck with everything.

We looked at converting existing buildings and when it was all boiled down, we decided that new would be the way to go. We are sitting with designs for 5 screens and the project cost not including land or parking is $1.5 m. (13,400 sq ft.) That's $112/sq ft.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 28 Oct 2004 12:14 #28807

• izod
  • Junior Boarder
We're looking at ten, and possibly an IMAX MPX system. Yeah, I've upped it to $100.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 21 Jan 2005 23:22 #28808

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
What about going from scratch a twin cinema about 400 seats. Land is owned and zoned commercial.Equipment(Platters, projectors,sounds system,speakers,lenses, splicers,make up table, and seats taken care of and some concession equipment.)
Would it be cheaper to build from scratch or search for a conversion?

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 30 Jan 2005 22:51 #28809

• filmguy
  • Junior Boarder
We found that the biggest problem with renovation of existing space was dealing with sound bleed. An existing building has many structural items that will inevitably be common to both rooms. These items (roof rafters or girders, floors etc.)will act as resonators and will transmit sound from one room to another. It is possible to deal with the problem, but you really need a reputable theatre design company to look at the building and give an accurate estimate as to the conversion cost versus building new. Theatre design is unique in that every auditorium basically is a building within a building. The walls and floors are more or less independant of the ones in adjacent rooms, thus allowing the room to be energized by the sound system and not energizing the adjacent wall or floor in the next room.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 31 Jan 2005 00:25 #28810

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree wholeheartedly with Filmguy's comments about auditorium isolation.

For a couple of years, we ran a theatre that was designed for common conditions that existed before digital sound. I had to install electronic limiters to keep low and mid-frequency sounds from bleeding between auditoriums. We did it relatively well, but it resulted in less dynamic range than the digital systems were designed to present to the audience.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 31 Jan 2005 18:15 #28811

• moviemandb
  • Fresh Boarder
I am looking at building a 3(possibly4) screen in a town of 10,000 people with a draw of 20-25 thousand people. This town has a rundown 1 screen way out of the way and shows the same movie sometimes 3 straight weeks which really pisses the people off in town. Maybe drive an 1hr and 15 min to the city. I own a 1 screen 25 miles down the road that is in excellent shape and does quite well and I could easily handle both.
I have been looking at land and existing buildings?
My question: Where do I start? Do I hire a design firm to do a feasibility study? Know any good ones in the Midwest?
Thanks

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 31 Jan 2005 22:58 #28812

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
The firm I'm using, Paradigm Design in Grand Rapids, MI, has extensive experience with new and retrofit designs. Give Bill Brunner a call at (616) 785-5577.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 19 Feb 2005 10:45 #28813

I'm using Paradigm as well, and have been very happy with how they can tranfer my vision to paper.
"MEANS" construction cost book can give you a good idea of average construction costs. the book gives multipliers for your specific area. my area for a retrofit is $96.00/ sq. ft.
Thanks,
Jay

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 20 Feb 2005 22:33 #28814

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Anyone know a good design construction company for building and designing a theater in Florida.

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 16 Mar 2005 03:26 #28815

• Phishface
  • Fresh Boarder
Have you called LTCI? they advertise in Box Office magazine. The guy Tony there has been building theatres for the past 30 years and his father before him. A friend of mine just had them do a stadium retrofit and turned out great. They were fast and they were able to keep some auditoriums open during construction. they do a lot of work in Florida so you could probably see some of their work.Good luck. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jacker5:
Anyone know a good design construction company for building and designing a theater in Florida.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re: Construction Costs in Existing Building 17 Mar 2005 17:19 #28816

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
Do you have contact info for LTCI? Like a website or e-mail?

Thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction