Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Building a theatre

Building a theatre 18 Feb 2005 23:21 #28758

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

I have a friend who came to me with an offer. I just want to know if it is worth the venture. He has found a small town in need of a neighborhood theater. There is an around in the next town a one screen about 10 miles away on one side then 15-20 miles there is 2 multiplexes.
The multiplexes are in the city. The single screen is run by two old people that just have one show Friday thru Sunday. A recent survey has people wanting more and they have done 7 days a week but said that it was to much for them.The people would rather go to there small town cinema instead of venturing out to the city.
The population for the small town and surrounding towns is about 10,000.The city that the multiplexes are about 90,000.
Would it be profitable to try to open up a 2-4 screen theater into the small town.I figured 2 screens would be good but he told me 4 screens would be better. It would play first run and art house, something the multiplexes don't touch!
Now the new place would be about 5-10 miles away from the single screen, would that be stepping on toes if that was done or just improving on the choices the people have.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Building a theatre 18 Feb 2005 23:48 #28759

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Why doesn't someone buy out the old folks' theater and open it more & book more movies into it? An area that small probably would not support an arthouse plus you would have to hold onto the first run stuff too long.

Re: Building a theatre 19 Feb 2005 00:59 #28760

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The old folks are not interested. At one time they wanted to lease but changed there mind! They wanted like 100,000 fro business and a few grand a month to lease.
Theatre is on national register!

Re: Building a theatre 19 Feb 2005 01:08 #28761

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The area probably isn't big enough to support a new theatre. Art pictures generally don't play well in those small towns, and yes, you would have to hold 1st run pictures longer than you had customers. I would check again with the old theatre. That is the most promising thing. Could it be added on to for another screen or 2 if needed? They might not be interested now, but if you tell them you are going to put up a new bigger theatre close by, they might see the writing on the wall and be more willing to deal with you. I'd check into that.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction