Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lobby Layout

Lobby Layout 19 Jan 2005 17:10 #28748

• Karla
  • Fresh Boarder
I attempting to plan to build a twin theatre with total seating of about 400 in a small town. I'm trying to figure out the best layout for the lobby, as I know how important traffic flow is.

So here are my questions:
1. Have any of you got concession booths and ticket sales combined instead of separate? If so, how does this work for you? I'm thinking of going this route b/c if people are paying with debit cards then they only have to get them out once and they will be more likely to buy concession items. Thoughts?

2. If a concession/ticket booth is set up opposite of the entrance, is 15' too shallow for a lobby? I don't want people lined up out the door, so would I be better to set up to the side as the lobby is quite long?

3. I'm planning for the bathrooms to be in the lobby but close to the entrance to the auditorium...are 5 toilets and 5 sinks for the women and 3 urinals, 1 stall, and 3 sinks enough for the men?

4. How much room should there be between the ticket taking door to the entrances to the individual auditoriums? Is 7.5' too shallow?

Thanks in advance for any advice you've got...this is tough!

Karla
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lobby Layout 19 Jan 2005 17:30 #28749

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/exhibits/theatres/theatres/obrien_renfrew.htm

The O'Brien in Renfrew Ont. (pop. 9,000) was tastefully converted to a twin by closing in the balcony. The lower aud is unmolested and complete with organ. The curtain is still used. On the linked page above, the lower right picture shows the outer lobby. What they did was to place the ticket counter IN the space where the centre INNER doors were. You buy tickets there, then go through either the left or right set of french doors and the snack counter is a semi-circular area in the middle of the inner lobby (the inner lobby can be seen in the lower LEFT picture, the snack bar in the middle and you see stairs to the balcony on the far left of this picture). That way, on slower nights, one person can serve both. I believe that the original (very small) counter became the lower projection booth in between the two restrooms. The upper booth in the balcony probably was the original booth. All this was VERY lovingly done, and you'd swear it was all original.

Re: Lobby Layout 19 Jan 2005 23:21 #28750

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
D.Bird, I would like to thank you for posting that theatre tour link of Ontario theatres. It certainly brought back some fond memories. As one from Pennsylvania in the USA, I don't get to Canada very often, but always enjoy it when I do. Natually, I always check out the theatres wherever I go.

Back in 1965 I spent a night in Brockville, and went to the movies at the Capital Theatre. Several years ago while passing through Brockville I went downtown to try to find that theatre, only to discover that it was gone. The following night back in 65, I stayed over in Cornwall, but didn't go to the theatre there as the carnival was in town and we went to that instead. I would have rather gone to the theatre. After seeing the picture of that theatre, I'm sorry that I hadn't gone by myself. The one thing I remember about Cornwall was the smell. It was a paper town, and had a rather pungent odor that came from the paper plant. Somewhat like rotten eggs. No one that lived there smelled it. Surprisingly, it didn't take long to get use to it.

That same trip in 65 we went to a theatre somewhere in a small town in Montreal. Naturally the film was in French, which none of us could understand and there were no sub-titles. It didn't matter as I only wanted to see the theatre anyway. The others weren't too happy about paying to see a movie that they couldn't follow, but when they realized that it was a foriegn film with a lot of T&A, they didn't seem to mind. Back then nudity was a thrill to young single guys as there was very little of that in American movies of that period.

I can't seem to remember anything about that theatre. I can't even remember what town it was in. It certainly wasn't the movie that caught my attention as I didn't stay very long.

It certainly was a treat to look at all those theatre pictures in that site though. From what I read, there are very few of them still around today. That's not very different from here. Most of our old theatres are gone as well.

Re: Lobby Layout 20 Jan 2005 13:37 #28751

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Your local building codes may dictate bathroom facility minimums, but in my opinion, just one commode for the men is asking some poor guy to be in pain 'holding it' since there always seems to be someone in the stall just when nature calls with a fury!
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Lobby Layout 21 Jan 2005 23:11 #28752

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Do you have blueprints of this layout. Would love to see, thinking of doing something similar in a small town in Florida!

Re: Lobby Layout 31 Jan 2005 17:49 #28753

• Karla
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Jacker5, I emailed you my very tentative floor plan in a gif file.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction