Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design We're starting our twin...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: We're starting our twin...

We're starting our twin... 08 Dec 2004 23:19 #28725

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The second screen will be what was the balcony. The building was built in 1914 and there's lots of wood in the support of the balcony.

Does anyone suggest anything for sound isolation? I'm concerned especially with the balcony floor/ceiling of the downstairs theatre.

Sally
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: We're starting our twin... 08 Dec 2004 23:56 #28726

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
This may be a stupid question, but did you get permits from all the required agencies before you went ahead with this?...

As to sound isolation, it's hard to beat regular (construction type) fiberglass insulation, but you have to have the ceiling/floor cavities available as a place to install it... You MIGHT be able to drill or cut some holes in the ceiling and blow in chopped fiberglass insulation, then patch or cover the holes... I don't know of any surface mount material that is really very effective, but I'm sure you'll need someone's approval BEFORE you proceed with any of this... Good Luck!...

Re: We're starting our twin... 09 Dec 2004 15:19 #28727

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
Double Stud construction. As in two walls, 4-inches apart. You only need drywall on the outside.

Sound will transmit through the open plenum above a wall in the ceiling. If you can, the wall should penetrate the ceiling and go all the way to the roof.

2-3 layers of drywall on each side, offset from each other. Each layer taped. It's the mass that cuts down on sound transmission.

Insulation in both walls.

Seal all gaps; use chalking under headers and sills.

Try an acoustical blocking material like, http://www.acoustiblok.com/products.html

10" of concrete works well too.

Re: We're starting our twin... 09 Dec 2004 16:27 #28728

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
Since you are creating what is essentially a "new" theatre where one did not exist before, I believe that you will have to meet the accessibility requirements of the ADA. How did you accomplish this in the balcony area?

Re: We're starting our twin... 10 Dec 2004 14:46 #28729

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It depends on # of seats in Maine. Under 50 seats and it can have one exit inside and not required to access to the outside. Over 50 seats and it needs 2 exits and one to exit outdoors.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: We're starting our twin... 10 Dec 2004 17:02 #28730

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
I wasn't referring to exits. That is a different concern.

I was referring to wheelchairs. Anything built now must meet federal ADA requirements. Since you are converting the balcony to a seperate new auditorium, it will be treated as a new build. How are going to get wheelchairs up to the new theatre in the balcony?

The cost of a elevator (and the accompanying insurance for it) is prohibitive and most older theatres are usually not easily adaptable for elevator install.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction