Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Christmas Shopping

Christmas Shopping 02 Dec 2004 11:41 #28721

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
Around this time of year I play with the idea of a small gift shop in the lobby of my theatre. We have the room for a small counter and shelf display. Do any of you have such a set up and is it worth the effort you put into it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Christmas Shopping 03 Dec 2004 08:03 #28722

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't have a cinema into which to put such a display, but if I had, I think I would, since non-trashy items would boost the tenor of my establishment and allow the customers to find a souvenier of their visit. If there are already concession clerks to take payment, then anything you make off of such a counter/shelves would be almost pure profit, as long as theft is not too likely. There must be hundreds of things one could sell, from those replicas of studio/theatre spotlights so popular years ago, to paper premiums available from the studios' merchandising/promotion departments. I know that there is a company that makes paperboard standees of most any Hollywood type to sell in your lobby. Even just some posters from the many sellers of such should do a lot to advance film appreciation and anticipation. What about the "Movie Flubs" books? Look at the product tie-ins at McDonalds and other such places; surely some such arrangement could be made with the studios. All this would add glamour and pizzaz to your place and make it stand out from the others, as well as be a service to your customers.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited December 03, 2004).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Christmas Shopping 03 Dec 2004 19:50 #28723

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
Speaking not from theatre experience, but food retail, I say DON'T DISMISS THIS IDEA OUT OF HAND. We had very little room for it, but my wife wanted to try it around Chrismas. Let me say I never thought it would work, with my "I know it all about this business" attitude. At giftware shows and catalogues, she selected some really nice quality stuff and we went for it. You will shock yourself, if you have an eye for quality merchandise that's different from what the flower shop or gift store has, with what you will sell, especially this time of year. The keys are: different - quality - and NOT priced to be the cheapest in town. The customer should understand that it's worth more and soon you'll have the reputation for quality. Start with a small quantity of unique items at a good profit, and grow it from there. You have the people there, and you'll find, as we did, it was VERY worthwhile to offer similar items the year round.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction