Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: starting small

starting small 30 Sep 2004 06:49 #28680

• neil
  • Fresh Boarder
We are relocating to a small Spanish island which has no English speaking cinema, with a fair amount of English speaking expats.
What i want to do is open a small cinema approx 100-150 seats.
Can anyone tell me if a cinema this size would be feasible.If anyone could give me an idea of the costs involved,any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: starting small 30 Sep 2004 12:15 #28681

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Call a booker and discuss with them and the film distributors the availability of product on the island. If you can't get product, then it doesn't make sence.

Re: starting small 01 Oct 2004 09:29 #28682

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Questions to ask yourself:

How many of the English-speaking do you really know? Is there good TV or satellite TV available to your prospective audience? Do they have VCRs/DVDs and do they regularly watch them? Do they invite other expats over to watch them? Will they give this up to go to your cinema and pay for tickets?
How much will they pay, as opposed as to what it costs you to operate? What are local laws for cinemas, if any? Are they really enforced and if so, how severly?

If distributor/booker is found for English titles, what is shipping time, charges? How long will you be allowed to keep a title, given distance and shipping costs? Who pays the penalty when films arrive back late through no fault of your own? What will you do when films do not show up by showtime? Will they require a sizeable deposit to cover loss/theft of film?

Are there enough titles availale to YOUR location to make construction/operation pay? Where will you get projection equipment and such, and who will ship it to you, how, and for how much? Is insurance available there for such as patron/employee accidents, 'acts of God' (cyclones, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.), plus usual disaster (fire) claims? Are construction costs only for the wealthy due to long distance shipping and absence of enough local craftsmen? Do you KNOW the local officials well enough to get cooperation and escape paying bribes? Do you have enough personal time you are WILLING TO LOSE to this venture to take away from your other life? Will your family willingly help out, or much oppose it?

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but reality ia always cheaper in the long run and better than even the most loved fantasies. Film exhibition looks easy and effortless, but as any reading of the FAQs and Archived comments here will reveal, it IS NOT (even if you have no commercial competitors)! Best Wishes, Jim
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: starting small 02 Oct 2004 15:12 #28683

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Jimor hit it on the head. As one who runs a 110 seat theatre in the US with all the infrastructure in place, it's hard enough to make it fly. Can't imagine the same thing without easy shipping and repair and maintence parts available. Might have to wait for digital so your product comes thru the air or via a cable rather than depending on international freight. I have the same fantasy, but in the south of France...
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: starting small 04 Oct 2004 05:48 #28684

• neil
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you all for your replies, certainly a lot to consider.Waiting for digital cinema seems to be my best option.
Are cinema owners in favour of digital?
Is digital inevitable? If so when and how will it be implemented?
Again any information greatly appreciated.

Re: starting small 05 Oct 2004 01:30 #28685

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
neil:

Go to "The Lobby" and read the post "Is Digital Cimema Coming Soon".There is an article posted there written by Michael Karagosian that will answer your question.

When you're finished reading it, call your travel agent and plan a leisurely trip around the world so that you will have something to do while your waiting.

Re: starting small 05 Oct 2004 21:32 #28686

I'd say its going to be close to $500K to start up, but it depends on the land or space, equipment, furniture.

In this industry, you CAN'T go cheap... Well, you can, but it really shines through.
Since 1987
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction