Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mirror,Mirror

Mirror,Mirror 01 Sep 2004 11:55 #28669

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
Behind oue concession stand we have a large mirror that covers the whole wall space. I'm thinking about removing it so I can put up some shelves and use some of the space for advertising. My questions is weather the I will loose some of the flavor if the mirror comes down and how hard it will be to remove whatever holds it in place right now. Any comments?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mirror,Mirror 01 Sep 2004 12:35 #28670

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
As to the decorative value you refer to as "flavor," that's a matter of taste and entirely up to you... If you NEED the space, that would be the determining factor... I had a similar situation with a large mirrored surface made up of hundreds of small 1"x2" colored mirror segments laid up in a design, and 4" square mirrors in the main field... They were cemented to the plaster wall (since the 1940s) with a paper cushion behind the tiles... After I started the edge, they stripped off with a wide stiff putty knife... If your mirror is a large heavy plate glass type, it probably has a channel on the wall to carry the weight, and either a frame around the perimeter fastened to the wall, or numerous clips around the perimeter... If you remove it, after you put up your other stuff, you can put up some smaller mirrors between what you put up, IF you still want a reflective surface between things...

Re: Mirror,Mirror 02 Sep 2004 09:02 #28671

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
You speak of losing some of the "flavor" so I am guessing that you like the look of the mirror, so I say 'why remove it at all?' If the mirror is not physically attached by obvious fasteners such a a channel or mirror pins (bolts or screws) with large plastic washers around them, then it is likely cemented to the wall, and that can be very tricky to remove; in fact such large mirrors are usually assumed to be broken up in order to remove the pieces that do not fall. Instead of going to so much trouble removing something you would really like to save, why not install freestanding or even suspended shelves in front of the mirror? If these are wireform or of such as clear acrylic (or even polycarbonate, which is stronger) plastic, they will not obscure the mirror itself much, and still hold the products. There are countless ways to attach temporary posters or the like to the glass, and if something is heavier, consider adding eye-screws to the ceiling above the mirror so as to have something secure screwed into the joists above the ceiling from which to suspend heavier items. If you are looking for a new look for the mirror, be creative: use spotlight plastic (not gels) sold at theatrical supply houses to create colored areas over the glass, perhaps done in a mosaic of some scene you like. Shortly will appear the holiday spray-on foams sold as 'snow' or 'frost' and with these you can spray on any pattern or design you like, perhaps using the stencils they supply or making up your own from Oil Board sold at art supply stores, where they also sell markers in dozens of colors that allow you to make either opaque or transparent drawings or messages right on the glass; some of them have tips up to several inches wide as are used by sign painters. If you just want an opaque look for a while, why not cover the mirror with paneling from a home improvements store, or for a really theatrical look, buy some fabric (velvet?) and arrange it like traditional stage draperies, perhaps with a real theatre spotlight with a lower wattage bulb cast upon it. You don't have to risk removing the mirror if you don't want to; there are dozens of options. If you must remove it, consider hiring a glass service company (in the Yellow Pages) which has the tools and experience to remove it safely or to re-silver it if need be. A new frame around the mirror might make it look new and glass shelves could be suspended from it, or a number of different frames could be suspended over the mirror to give it the look of a number of new mirrors with or without shelves in front of each. It is a nice place to let your imagination soar!
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction