Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting Started

Getting Started 12 Jan 2004 15:48 #28516

• strickvhs
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm looking for an idea of what to expect in startup costs for a sole propreitorship cinema?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting Started 12 Jan 2004 16:32 #28517

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
It would depend on whether you are building from the ground up, converting an existing building or taking over an existing operation. The latter would be the least expensive. My personal experience has been with the first two.

In our rural area building from the ground up (including land costs) would have taken $900,000.00. Converting an existing building will take $78,000.00 (including equipment). It's a former elementary school "multi-purpose" room.

If you're taking over an existing operation (assuming it's operational) I would guess that you could do it for about $15,000.00 to cover film rental deposits, payroll, advertising, licenses, supplies, etc.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Getting Started 12 Jan 2004 17:02 #28518

• strickvhs
  • Fresh Boarder
Bob,

Thank you for the cordial response. I'd be following the same path you took - taking an existing building and coverting it into a theatre. Also, it would likewise be in a rural area.

I'm trying to do all the reading on here (of the past year!) because this is really the only helpful source I've found on the business.

With your figures, what size theatre are you talking about? I'm really only contemplating a 2 screen theatre (a stretch for 3 considering the population. However, consumers are forced to drive a minimum of 30 minutes to the nearest theatre where they are now, and some up to an hour).

Re: Getting Started 13 Jan 2004 00:50 #28519

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
My project- a 3screen(all stadium) is clocking in at close to $700,000. This is construction and FF&E.Converting a former industrial space. Build out is $50 sq.ft. Hope this helps.

Re: Getting Started 13 Jan 2004 11:31 #28520

• strickvhs
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks

Re: Getting Started 13 Jan 2004 15:49 #28521

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strickvhs:
<B>Bob,

Thank you for the cordial response. I'd be following the same path you took - taking an existing building and coverting it into a theatre. Also, it would likewise be in a rural area.

I'm trying to do all the reading on here (of the past year!) because this is really the only helpful source I've found on the business.

With your figures, what size theatre are you talking about? I'm really only contemplating a 2 screen theatre (a stretch for 3 considering the population. However, consumers are forced to drive a minimum of 30 minutes to the nearest theatre where they are now, and some up to an hour). </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The $78,000.00 figure is for a 400 seat single screener in a rural county seat (area population 5,000). The nearest competition is 30 miles away. It would be a combo live and movie venue. I will need to add another $12,000.00 to stadium seat about half the floor is the landlord does not.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Getting Started 14 Jan 2004 18:14 #28522

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
We bought one 2 screen for 215K and redid a lot for 40K. Then we added a 3rd screen in vacant space for 110K. Meanwhile upgrading stuff all the time anyway. Could we have done it for less: and it would have looked like it. I wanted to be proud.

I took over a 2 screen lease for about 10k in stuff. Gutted it and did all new seats/carpet/concession/bathrooms/etc except for booth (and we need to do the booth bad!) all for +/- 200k.

Is it 100 a screen? These were rehabs of existing theatres.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Getting Started 15 Jan 2004 17:13 #28523

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I would be real interested to know of a situation where I could get my hands on an existing operating theater for $15,000 in film rental deposits, payroll, etc.

It has always seemed to me that the guy who currently owns the equipment and furnishings and operates the place might be interested in selling it to me for a tidy sum probably $100,000 +++ plus I would then need to negotiate a lease with the building owner for a not insubstantial monthly sum. Therefore the costs of getting into the business are substantially higher than the previously mentioned $15,000. If you have a situation for $15,000 please contact me.

Re: Getting Started 15 Jan 2004 17:54 #28524

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I have a feeling that in 2004 in might be difficult to open an existing theatre for $15,000, but possibly not. What you need to find is a theatre completely equipped where the owner rents it to you as a turnkey operation with one months rent upfront. Deposits for utilities and stock would only be several thousand dollars.

Most of my 18 theatres over the years only required several thousand dollars to get up and running, but then that was many years ago. However, as late as 1996 I acquired a twin theatre in an indoor mall where I bought all the equippment... 2 booths, one with Dolby stereo, seats, screens, concession, EVERYTHING for $10,000. With rent deposit and other items it came in under $15,000.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited January 16, 2004).]

Re: Getting Started 18 Jan 2004 12:38 #28525

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
One thing anyone entering the business should do is to attend the "Showest" motion picture theater convention in Las Vegas. It's coming up soon so get your reservations and tickets. They have business seminars, tech seminars, a huge trade show, and a grand finale formal dinner with the stars! The trade show has all kinds of equipment manufacturers, dealers, food service, seats, construction firms/architects, etc. Worth every penny!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction