Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Hi and resource question
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi and resource question

Hi and resource question 16 Jan 2004 09:25 #28511

Just wanted to say "HI" and ask a couple of questions. My 2 partners and I wanna open up a combination theater and restaurant we are working on our business plan and I can't really find any info about a complete theater package screens, projectors, sound (especially screens) any info or links would really help. I know we could price all these things separately but was wondering if you can go with a whole package.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hi and resource question 16 Jan 2004 10:24 #28512

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
While I don't know of any package deals, I feel it necessary to state the obvious in view of this question and so many others like it recently. Many people are interested in starting up cinemas since they they go to them elsewhere and see only a ticket seller, a ticket taker, someone behind the concession stand, and gather from this that it is a gravy train of little work and big bucks. They think that this is their dream of "INDEPENDENCE" come to life! Nothing could be further from the truth, since Exhibitors, as movie showers are called, are NOT really 'independent' at all, even though they may own their location, BUT, BUT, they don't own the product they sell. The movie studios own the product -- the films -- and even though the Supreme Court stopped them from owning the cinemas in 1948, they still really control the business. If you want a good film, they and their distributors had better like you, and you had better know how to play their games, else you will fade away with poor or move-over product while taxes and expenses slowly drain your pocketbook. Thus, if it was dreams of 'Independence' that brought you to the idea of owning a cinema, you may do much better to look elsewhere.

On the other hand, if you are the hardworking type who is not easily discouraged and has a big bankroll to back him for the early, lean years, by all means read the messages archived here and learn something of the nature of the industry and resolve that you will NEVER be independent of the makers of the product unless you have the moxie and millions to make your own. If you have millions, you have a much better chance of surviving until the small retruns on your investment start to arrive, and banks are much more willing to lend to those who already have money than to those who need it, sad to say. There is no business quite like Exhibition, especially if you are the successful Showman type who can also bring in live entertainment, and are a natural at advertising and promotions. Still want a 50+ hour per week job that can turn you grey but give you a smile of accomplishment if you succeed? Then Exhibition may be for you, as long as you realize that you will always be DEPENDENT upon others for the products that you sell and hence have little or no influence over the quality and quantity of what you sell. This gnaws at some people, but if you can live with it, more power to you! Jim
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Hi and resource question 16 Jan 2004 12:58 #28513

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Many theater equipment dealers make package deals (especially on used equipment). Here's one dealer I use alot:

American Cinema Equipment
1927 North Argyle St.
Portland, Oregon 97217
Phone: (503) 285-7015
Fax: (503) 285-6765
URL: www.cinequip.com

Re: Hi and resource question 16 Jan 2004 12:59 #28514

Well thank-you Jimor for your honest and down to earth comments I am a hard worker and do not care if I have to "depend" on others. I have lurked here in this forum for about a yr and a half now and my business plan would be complete except for the main component- now i'll admit i now very little about this industry but I want to learn, as far as the restaurant business I've opened 2 and managed 4, anyway, I am not being sarcastic I do Value any thoughts, experience, and comments. Any help you give will be appreciated.

Re: Hi and resource question 16 Jan 2004 13:32 #28515

Thanks Ken I will ck it out ASAP!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction