Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: metal buildings

metal buildings 14 Jan 2004 18:17 #28506

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Ugly as sin but really cheap! What do you think of these? Uninsulated/no foundation/ 40 x 60 x 16' high for under 10k including the roof!
http://www.premiersteel.org/40x60x16.html

Im looking at using one of these to add a screen to my 2 plex by building this next door with a connector hallway.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: metal buildings 14 Jan 2004 18:20 #28507

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Your building code people will go for that?

Re: metal buildings 14 Jan 2004 19:39 #28508

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just remember there is nothing new under the sun. In the 40's they used to call these sort of buildings "Quanset Hut" theatres.

In today's world prefab metal buildings are currently used for all types of things including theatres. Code wise there is no problem. It is simply how well the stucture will work in the climate/environment in which you operate. As the fellow out in Ohio found out last year, it doesn't hold up to torndoes real well (If I recall the auditoriums were metal buildings and only the restrooms interiors where the people sought shelter were brick).

Up in -10 degree below zero Maine I would imagine the thing is going to be cold and hard to heat.

[This message has been edited by muviebuf (edited January 14, 2004).]

Re: metal buildings 15 Jan 2004 10:26 #28509

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Code's okay but appearances would have to be gusssied up a good some. Sort of western mining town false front: know what I mean? Any building is hard to heat if it's not insulated. Both of ours currently are brick and it's not the bricks that keeps patrons warm.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: metal buildings 15 Jan 2004 12:18 #28510

• Dundee Ed
  • Fresh Boarder
Metal buildings are as cheap or as expensive as you want to make them. Before retiring I was involved in building a structure for our city. Lowest bidder. The building itself was not bad. Good material and in general well designed. The people who erected it cut costs. It cost thousands of dollars to finish the job. At this job we started looking into steel buildings and we have gone to an architect who specializes in them. He has taken us to several theatres that are prefab steel buildings and in some cases you wouldn't know. The exterior is add on and can look like anything you or your architect can come up with. I was told there is one in Dennison, IA.. It gets real cold there and there is always the threat of toronados in the spring. I understand it works for them.

I sent out requests to a lot of prefab building companies and got lots of answers. Was contacted by several contractors and architects who discussed the buildings without cost to us. We eventually hired one of them for other projects.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction