Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stadium savers

Stadium savers 02 May 2003 20:46 #28247

Anyone ever used this method of stadium seating building. They used foam blocks then covered them with concrete. I looked kinda at this 2 years ago and I havn't checked to see if they were still in business.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stadium savers 06 May 2003 08:34 #28248

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
It does sound to many at first consideration that foam would collapse but they use it uder roadway interchanges and then lay paving over it. I never say that system you mention.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Stadium savers 06 May 2003 10:23 #28249

Leaves a bad taste?

Re: Stadium savers 06 May 2003 12:07 #28250

• crshedd
  • Senior Boarder
our local laundry mat burned and was replaced with a 'foam insulated concrete' building. the owner used to sell and erect metal buildings. his space is approx. 4500 sq ft. he needed specially engineered trusses as he had a conveyor system go up into the attic (dry cleaning) and installed standing seam (metal) roofing-both were expensive add-ons. he claims his building, complete (interior walls, insulation, etc) ran him $180,000. his heating and cooling costs a mere fraction of the original building.

'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

[This message has been edited by crshedd (edited May 06, 2003).]
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

Re: Stadium savers 04 Jun 2003 07:42 #28251

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I would use the greatest of caution in using any foam! Remember that such foams are plastics: complex organic molecules that can decompose just as do other organics, and some of them are foams only by virtue of chemicals called 'plasticizers.' These chemicals are the odorous and sometimes carcinogenic vapors that exude from most foams for years after being made, and as they exude, the plastic changes nature. It can begin to crack and crumble, and then the concrete resting on it may not stand up to the demands. For these reasons, it is NOT legal in many jurisdictions. Do not let the claim that it is used as an underlayment for roadways sway you, since roads are a relatively short lifespan thing, with the highway builders/planners fully aware that after a number of years, the road will have to be replaced, foamed plastics and all. A building is usually expected to last a lot longer!

We all want quality in construction, but our pocketbooks make us try to build on the cheap, but buildings almost always suffer (as do its occupants) if we do it on the cheap. Yes, I too would want it cheap in today's very expensive building climate, but of all the buildings I can think of, a cinema/theatre is the poorest prospect for cheap construction. Such buildings take a beating, and one best not build new, or even retrofit, unless he can afford to do it right.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction