Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Amount of Screens per POPULATION
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Amount of Screens per POPULATION

Amount of Screens per POPULATION 23 May 2003 15:02 #28214

• zenatek
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey, this is my first post I think this site is really great for advice as I am looking to start a theater in my city. I have a question and would like some input on it...

I am having trouble deciding how many screens to build. The area I am in has a population of about 25,000 people and the nearest theaters are in the next city which has about 80,000 people in that city is about 30-45 minutes away and has two 2 year old 8 plex theaters. I really think that our area could support a theater of its own. Our city is also a pretty busy tourist destination so that would probubly provide even more business.

If I could get as much advice on this subject or if its even worth it to do this project that would be great.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Amount of Screens per POPULATION 23 May 2003 15:32 #28215

• zenatek
  • Fresh Boarder
hey just to help with the demographics of the area I have drawn this horrible crude drawing of the population in the area check it out and let me know what you think...
http://server.pcecho.com/www.zenatek.com/theatercrudeness.jpg

Re: Amount of Screens per POPULATION 23 May 2003 15:53 #28216

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The standard rule-of-thumb is that for every 10,000 in population that market can support one screen. There are exceptions, of course, so this should be used as a generalization.

Re: Amount of Screens per POPULATION 25 May 2003 11:37 #28217

• zenatek
  • Fresh Boarder
Really, only 1 screen per 10,000 that doesnt seem like a lot. Is that always true?

Re: Amount of Screens per POPULATION 30 May 2003 04:46 #28218

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
My 'area' (city and surrounding communities within 30 minutes) has about 125,000 people, and we currently have 17 screens total. One of the theaters (a 5 plex) shows nothing but second run and sub-titled films. Remove that from the equation and we have 12 screens total. We are able to support these just fine. Don't get me wrong, we have ups and downs, but overall we are okay. So, for us, the 1 screen per 10,000 people sounds pretty accurate!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction