Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lease Terms

Lease Terms 23 Feb 2003 23:04 #28127

• DrStinky
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello all. I have a question regarding commercial lease negotiations that I have not seen addressed in the forum or archives.

We own a single screen operation, but are currently negotiating a lease for a 4-screen theater facility. The triple net lease rates appear appropriate. However, the owner is requesting a personal guarantee on the 5-year lease term or a letter of credit backing up 6-12 months of lease in case of default.

I am uncomfortable on signing a personal guarantee for an extended duration, but the letter of credit is essentially a loan process, which can affect my operating leverage. What are everyone's thoughts regarding negotiating around these issues? Are there other options? I would appreciate any advice available.

Regards -

Steve Johnson
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lease Terms 24 Feb 2003 15:49 #28128

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Triple Net sucks, we don't pay it. We've looked at at least two deals where the rent was ok but the Triple Net sunk the deal.

A personal letter of Guarantee is standard issue in this industry. And it's worth the paper it's written on. A landlord usually can only go after you for about a year of the lease because he must have made a good faith effort to re-lease the property. Most courts will only grant one year. But we happily signed a personal guarantee for $1.5 million dollars. See why I say it is worth the paper it's written on, I wasn't even employed at the time.

We also signed personal guarantees with all the film companies as per their contracts as well. So let's just say, I'm committed.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction