Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Questions About Landscaping
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions About Landscaping

Questions About Landscaping 30 Jan 2003 12:31 #28087

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
I've seeing that most of the newer theatres are using woodchips around their shrubs and plants. I have no green thumb so I was wondering if there is an advantage to using the chips. I was also wondering about using shrubs or trees as windbreakers. We get some pretty stiff winds at times seeing as we are located in an open area. Any views on these subjects would be welcome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Questions About Landscaping 30 Jan 2003 13:07 #28088

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The advantages of using wood chips (or "Beauty Bark") is number one it's cheap and number two (at least in Olympia, Wash.) it helps you meet local landscaping code requirements.

Re: Questions About Landscaping 30 Jan 2003 14:22 #28089

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ken,

What are Landscaping Code Requirements?

We have a landscaped area directly in front of our theatre. There are hedges along the walkways. The open ground area was covered with pea gravel. The weeds were starting to poke through. Our landlord (after some prodding) put down wood chips right over the pea gravel. This works for a season or two. But it's cheap and can be freshened every year or two. We don't need to water it or mow it, but they do attract a lot of cigarette butts.

We have a nice olive tree, which attracts pickers every time the olives are ripe.

Re: Questions About Landscaping 30 Jan 2003 14:58 #28090

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Our local 'development commision' sets the standards for landscaping & beautification for new buildings before building permits are issued. You are required to have X amount of square footage of landscaping depending on the square footage of your building AND parking lot. They tell you how many trees you're going to have, where they will go, what kind of trees they will be, etc. Sometimes they say you need grass & shrubs and they will let you use beauty bark instead. Generally the landscaping requirements are a real pain in the ass here and the city is starting to see some developers skip Olympia and build in other cities instead.

This same commision also controls sign regulations (don't get me started on that!).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction