Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Concession size, among other things.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Concession size, among other things.

Concession size, among other things. 31 Oct 2002 23:54 #27973

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
Again, this is for a 6 screen art house in design stages, with a simple initial design.
There are three size houses, small, medium, and large, and two of each. All 6 houses are in a straight line in the back of the building (small, medium, large, large, medium, small). These houses measure 48'x72', 52'x80', and 58'x84', respectively.The entrances for all of these houses are facing the entrance.
Given the width of the houses, and soundproofing space, there is a hallway that runs 330' long down the lenght of the building, with exits on each side. The hallway is 10' wide, with two entryways.
On the front side of the hallway wall and centered in the building is a block area 40'wide x 26' deep. This is the concession area and immediate storage area. The concession area is in the front and runs 40'x11', with serving capabilities on 3 sides, a sort of "concession peninsula", with a small entryway to enter without doors. There is a door in the rear of concession which leads to an immediate storage area measuring 40'x15', and a door on the opposite side for exit into the hallway. This area will hold items such as ice machines, a small backup amount of candy, cups, bags, lids, etc.
There will also be other storage areas on both sides of the building for the main stash of stock, backup equipment (both concession and booth), old one-sheets, etc.

Questions:

1. Is the hallway wide enough, or too wide?
2. Is this concession style a good idea, if not, why?
3. Is concession too small or too big given the size of the theatre and the fact that it's an art house?
4. With a theatre of this size, what is a good size for a lobby, and restrooms?

Thanks in advance for any responses and opinions given.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Concession size, among other things. 01 Nov 2002 10:43 #27974

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I find it difficult to comment one what you have written because I am a visual person. I can just tell you what I have experienced.

I used to work in a 12-plex commercial theatre that had 12 selling stations in the concession stand. They were rarely all open together.

I used to run a 2-plex art cinema with 2 selling stations that were almost always open together.

I own a 5-screen art cinema with 3 selling stations and we open them all on weekends and special events. We open only one station during the week. With all three stations open, we can keep up with the hungriest of crowds.

Art cinemas will sell less than commercial movie theatres. This is a sad but true fact. In spite of all the fancy extras you will try to sell to your art-house crowd, when it comes right down to it, they buy mostly coke and popcorn. There are sales statistics if you search in the concession forum under Large.

This is my stand and what works and doesn't work. My stand is 28' long. Each selling station is about 6' wide. That includes 2 feet for the cash register and two feet for either the soda tower or popcorn warmer. So the clear counter space is about 2'. There is about 6 extra feet on the end, which hold the condiments.

The working area behind the stand is 3', but I think this is too small. We are constantly bumping in to each other. perhaps the fact that I am 6'4" and 300lbs. has something to do with it, but I would prefer 4' of working space.

I wouldn't think a 6-plex theatre would need any more than the 3 selling stations I have for my 5-plex.

Re: Concession size, among other things. 01 Nov 2002 10:46 #27975

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Note:

Each selling station should have soda and popcorn in easy reach of the seller. Our stations are divided by the soda tower and the popcorn warmer. So the seller doesn't have to move out of their 6' zone most of the time.

The only items out of their zone are coffee, icecream and hotdogs.

So when setting up each selling station, make sure everything is within reach of a 5' tall girl.

Re: Concession size, among other things. 01 Nov 2002 18:17 #27976

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Ian, I was just working on a base plan of an arthouse I hope to have constructed within the next 3 or so years, and I pretty much just pulled the concession numbers out of my arse.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction