Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Screen size and seating layout.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Screen size and seating layout.

Screen size and seating layout. 23 Oct 2002 02:16 #27957

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a 6-screen project in the works, all planning right now.

Anyway, I was projecting for the largest screen to have a size of 20'x47' (flat screen) and with about a 5' distance between the walls, ceiling, and floors (is this too much?). This would make the ceiling at screen to be 31'.
I would like to have the total length of the theatre to be about 4x the screen height (84'). I plan on starting stadium at about 1.5 lengths from screen (32'), leaving 52' of stadium.
From the specifications on the Seating Concepts BG-740 Flare model, it would require at least 46" between rows, make that 48" and you could fit 13 rows, giving a total height of 19' of stadium with a 12' ceiling in the back. Also on the specs, it has a 24" back width, at 58' wide stadium, giving 29 seats per row (377 total). At the front of stadium, have 3 sets of 3 seats for handicap accessibility, and 10' in front of stadium another 2 rows of 25 seats each.

That's 58'(W)x84'(L)x31'(H). Starting stadium 32' back. Ceiling at back of 12'.
This doesn't include the entrance hallway(s).

First, is this theatre too big for a 6 screen, with hopeful plans for expansion down the road?
Second, I wouldn't like a huge cluster in the stadium, perhaps some division. What is the best way to do this, both easily and aesthetically?
Third, how wide should the stairways / hallways be, about 4'?
And lastly, are there any problems with this particular theatre design, or any ideas which would make it more appealing to the average customer of original?

All responses and opinions are greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Screen size and seating layout. 23 Oct 2002 10:25 #27958

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Zamin

I have a few comments for you regarding your proposed theatre. First, in a theatre this size, you can have a much larger screen. You don't require 5' clearance at the sides and top. A minimum of 1' is enough for screen frame and masking. The proportions of the teatre at 58' x 84' are great. I wouldn't place any seating closer than 30' from the screen. The screen size can be increased to 56' x 30' (flat), and I would recommend a curved screen at this size. I feel that placing two rows in front of the stadium will be much too close to the screen, so I would settle for 13 rows in total. Allowing for ramp access and aisles, your total seating will be about 285 seats. Keep in mind that if you exceed 300 seats, special rules under ADA come into play requiring handicapped seating spaces to be distributed throughout the auditorium. This can be a very onerous requirement, so the seating capacity should be less than 300. We would be pleased to offer our services for your design. Please contact us at your convenience.

Re: Screen size and seating layout. 23 Oct 2002 19:36 #27959

I tend to allow 3 feet at the base of the screen and 2' at the top to allow some flexibitly for masking and tracks
Also I usually recomend that one goes with a constant heigth image with side masking so one has a larger scope picture
This provides for better illuminationas the 1.85:1 image will have less magnification then and as such less light loss

Re: Screen size and seating layout. 24 Oct 2002 00:07 #27960

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for you quick responses. MesburSmith, I was thinking there were some design codes on larger theatres, thanks for that, and I figured the side distances were too great. I was hoping on having a little sloped style seating in the front, and some stadium in the back, maybe I can cut down on some stadium? And Gordon, yes I was planning on using solely side masking, why does anybody use top? I was also planning on perhaps putting in a full curtain package, are there any special considerations I need to make for this? Thanks again.

Re: Screen size and seating layout. 24 Oct 2002 04:34 #27961

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, I just finished making some changes, and I hope, improvements.

Retain original theatre size of 58'(W) x 84'(L) x 31'(H) and 4' length of rows and 2' width of seats.
The sole entry way is 5' wide and 36' long. After the entry way, another 8' straight ahead is a stairway (5' wide) going down for the first 3 rows (first row starts at 28' from screen.
The first 3 rows are surrounded on either side by a row of stairs, both 5' wide. This leaves us with 48' for seats, giving 24 seats per row. 3 rows at 24 seats each gives 72 seats.
Where the patron enters is a "landing area" above the 3 rows. This is pretty much an extended row. When facing the adjacent wall, this is 8' wide (2 rows) and runs the 58' length of the house. Before the main stadium seating block are 4 seats of 3 seats interspersed down the length of the landing area. This area is mainly for wheelchair accessibility, and placing them at approx. 2.4 screen heights viewing distance, thus putting them in "reasonable accomodations", as apposed to much less comfortable viewing distances further up.
On the other side of the entryway and above the landing area is the main stadium block partitioned by a 1' thick sloped wall between seating and entryway. As with the first 3 rows, the main stadium block is surrounded on either side by a 5' stairway, both of which climb 8 of the 9 rows. The length of this block is 36', giving 9 rows. The width of which is 42', giving 21 seats per row. The first 8 rows are all equal, giving 168 seats. The top row has no stair interference, and can include another 5 seats. Also, a total of 2 top rows overhang the entryway, creating a psuedo-balcony. This leaves 6' (eliminating the 1' partition and the 5' of entryway) giving an extra 3 seats on the top row, and add some space and make 2 seperate on the 8th for a more intimate feel.
With the top row and it's extra 8 seats and the psuedo-balcony's 2, brings the block total to 199. Add to that the 12 on the landing row and the 72 of the lower riser, for a grand total of 283.

Again, any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction