Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cinema Equipment

Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 05:23 #27927

• taimur
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys -
Im new in this business and Im planning a 3 screener with 250 seats each - I need some guidance on equipment prices. Do the following sound reasonable?

Simplex 35mm Single projector with Dolby SurroundEx and optical soundhead - $ 8,900

Strong Computerized Network Automation System - $ 2,700

JBL 18 inch Dual Subwoofer Sytem - $ 9270 per speaker = $18540 each

A supplier in Hong Kong quoted me these - Im not too convinvec but then again i have no experience.

Ciao

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 09:26 #27928

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Taimur

Back in 1999, we obtained a range of quotations for the equipment you are seeking from a supplier based in Vancouver, Canada. By doing a rough conversion from Canadian to US dollars, the range of prices quoted at that time (from budget to premium options) were as follows:

Projector and Light Source: $14,000-$20,000
Lenses: $2,400 - $3,200
Automation: $1,300 - $1,700
Sound System: $14,000 - $24,000
Platter: (if required) $5,200 - $6,300

Keep in mind these estimates are 3 years old, and were quoted in Canadian dollars at that time. If you would like current information, you could contact Kevin Eagle at Cinematronix in Vancouver, 604 585 2155.

Re: Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 12:38 #27929

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just got a quote from my cinema supplier about a new theatre project we are concidering. Some of this stuff is used some is new.

Simplex projector head (Rebuilt) $2,850
Simplex soundhead (Rebuilt) $1,500
Strong Super Lumex lamphouse (used) $1,200
Dolby CP650 (new) $7,000
QSC ISA450 AMP $400
Component Engineering automation w/ failsafe $1,550
EV Loudspeakers (used) $650
EV Subwoofers (used) $300-$900
Surround Speakers $100-$180

Re: Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 16:33 #27930

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Large: Is that a Dolby CP65?

We purchased: 2 Crown CT-410 amps, 3 JBL 4670D speakers (center, left & right), 1 JBL 3635 subwoofer system, 8 JBL 8330 surround speakers for our new Dolby Digital system in early 2000. Total price for these components:$8,124.12.

Our Dolby Digital CP500 processor, soundhead and digital cable from another source: $10,275.

This doesn't include lots of other incidental expenses such as new cabling between the speakers and projection booth.

Re: Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 17:07 #27931

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

The CP650 is also the most cost-effective Dolby processor, thanks to built-in features such as Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding. Excellent reproduction of analog soundtracks is ensured by the inclusion of fully digital implementations of Dolby A-type and Dolby SR decoding.

Re: Cinema Equipment 03 Oct 2002 18:28 #27932

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting that $7000, was the price we were quoted for the CP65 in 2000. We chose the CP500D which priced out at $7920 or $8100 (we had several quotes).

Has Dolby instituted a price cut in their newest models?

I am interested as I hope to be buying additional digital sound systems in the future. Would love to keep those costs as low as possible while getting the best possible sound.

[This message has been edited by BECKWITH1 (edited October 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by BECKWITH1 (edited October 03, 2002).]

Re: Cinema Equipment 04 Oct 2002 06:00 #27933

• taimur
  • Fresh Boarder
hey guys first of all thanks for your assistance - ive got some more worries though -
First question is for BECKWITH1:

1) What all does the JBL subwoofer system you bought contain and is it sufficient for a 250 seat auditorium in your opinion, cause according to the hong kong guy i need 2 subwoofer systems which he has quoted at $9200 each, totalling approx $18000 just for the subwoofers. Do keep in mind Im looking for new equipment so if yours was old let me know please

The next question is for everyone:

Does $6150 for a brand new DTS 6-AD cinema processor sound reasonable?

Help!

Taimur

Re: Cinema Equipment 04 Oct 2002 09:15 #27934

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
There are NEW equipment prices posted at www.rsem.com

Re: Cinema Equipment 04 Oct 2002 13:20 #27935

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
All of our equipment was brand new in the original boxes and from a reputable dealer. Our subwoofer system is more than adequate for our 322 seat theater. I wouldn't want two by any means. Check the model numbers I mentioned against what your dealer is quoting you and see what the differences are.

Re: Cinema Equipment 04 Oct 2002 14:40 #27936

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Typically, a cinema has only one sub-woofer. This is generally placed at the front end on the floor on either the right or left side. The sub woofer has to assymetrically placed or the waves cancel themselves out. Two sub-woofers in one auditorium is redundant and will wreck the sound effect.

Re: Cinema Equipment 05 Oct 2002 02:02 #27937

• taimur
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys - Keving the website helped a lot - BECKWITH1 thanks for the advice.
Everything's making more sense now -
Now here's a question of opinion -
Does it, in your opinion, improve the sound quality if the specs of speakers are the same but one brand is more expensive and reputed (like JBL)than the other? A guy is quoting me a Celestian (UK manufactured) speaker system (which is considerably cheaper than JBL for e.g) but Im not too convinced how it compares to the more popular brands like JBL etc.
It would help if you tell me what the popular makes are and about your experiences with the sound quality etc. and whether u think its worth going for the saving or the quality. budget is not an issue for me so I'm after the better sound quality, but i wouldnt mind saving some bucks if the end result is the same...Some expert opinions needed...
Thanks again.....
Ciao
T

Re: Cinema Equipment 08 Oct 2002 11:51 #27938

Actually multiple subs are the norm in most theatres over 200 seats with digital and when stacked or placed side by side they couple togather. Normally they should be placed just slightly off centre in the room close as possible to floor level and on issolation pads

Contact Entertainment Equipment Corp 1 800 448 1656 for quotations

Re: Cinema Equipment 08 Oct 2002 17:07 #27939

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
And don't forget that subs are usually the first speakers to be stolen so be sure to secure/fasten/lock or whatever you have to in order to keep those expensive subs from walking away.

Re: Cinema Equipment 09 Oct 2002 11:15 #27940

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Gord

Thanks for the correction on what we posted. Yes, multiple subs are often used. The point is that the subs are stacked, and both are placed to one side. The point I was trying to make was not placing them symmetrically, because they cancel each other out.

Re: Cinema Equipment 10 Oct 2002 09:27 #27941

Sub placement is a tricky issue we use a simulation program called Ease to calculate it for high end customers.
It is important that they be slightly off center but not in a corner to prevent a horn effect forming.
If the backwall is close enought to the screen place them flush against the wall on the floor to get coupling into the wall
Idealy though an infinite baffle is preffered

In some cases of rooms with multiple nodes the subs are placed assymetrically apart on opposite sides of the room at a distance to null a standing wave issue

Celestion make okay speakers If alternates to JBL are sought I have had good experience with
KCS(Spain)
Martin (UK)
Krix (australian)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction