Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Mating & Carpet Types
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mating & Carpet Types

Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 12:08 #27911

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Before I go and have new carpets put down I thought I'd ask about a few questions I had kicking around in my head. Basically the floor under the exhisting carpets is cement. My first question is if a mating is needed between the floor and the carpet? Secondly, what is the best type of carpet composition for the job.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 12:28 #27912

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It's called Carpet Extrusion and comes in platic or metal.

We have a guy in the building now measuring us up for new carpet. We are getting LED Carpet Extrusion for our Isle Light.

Re: Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 13:11 #27913

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Best and most carpets have backing on them. Durkan is tops for theatres. Large refers to the edge of the carpet which usually have LED aisle lighting... try www.ledinc.com .... in them but not always. There are transition moldings, stair nosings, etc. that flooring professionals will reccomend.

And any "mating" as opposed to matting in my theatre always happens above the carpet rather than under it!

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 14:27 #27914

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Reguardless of what you do over or under your csrperts, make double-damn sure the cement is sealed completely before laying carpet on it. Nothing like trying to vacuum lime thru a carpet leaching from the cement . . .
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 14:32 #27915

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Poppajoe

There are two types of carpet commonly used in theatres

The first is woven wool axminsters, made in England or New Zealand, and used in all the older grand theatres. For ten years we used axminsters exclusively for Cineplex Odeon. Now, the whole industry has pretty much gone to printed nylon carpets. The two major American manufacturers are Durkan and Milliken. Advantages are they are dimensionally stable (i.e. mildew and rot resistant)and won't stretch when cleaned. The come with an integral backing, so do not need any underlay (or mating as you call it). Zillions of colours and patterns are available, and you can custom colour any of their existing designs.

We have links to both companies on our web site www.mesbursmith.com on our links page. We have used both companie's products extensively here and abroad, with excellent results.

Re: Mating & Carpet Types 30 Sep 2002 17:32 #27916

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
At our theatre we don't have any carpet pad under our carpet. We use good commercial carpet but no pad. It makes for a hard floor but it is easy for wheel chairs to roll around on.

In my new house, I want to use the thickest pad going. I may put carpet pad under my tile floor just to add that spring to my step.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction