Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slope vs stadium

Slope vs stadium 04 Aug 2002 23:34 #27887

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all...I know this topic has been mentioned before but I am curious...

I am looking at a buidling which currently has flat floor. Specifically, cost wise, is is cheaper to build a sloped floor or stadiums?

Any idea on costs per sq. foot for either...I know specifics regarding building amterials can vary but I am looking fo rsome sort of industry averages...

I do understand that an architect is the next natural step...just trying to do some prelim pricing before I start digging into my pocket

Thx for any help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 09:21 #27888

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If the floor is already flat you _could_ build stadium seating, but it might require increasing the height of the building (like extending the walls higher and building a new roof). A conventional sloped floor would be easier to do (and a lot cheaper). When sloped floor seating is well-planned and laid out properly, it's 100 times better than stadium seating (and less likely to have an accident where someone trips or falls down the stairs).

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 11:37 #27889

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
thx Ken

SO..a conventional slope floor would be cheaper. When you say conventional slope floor...do you mean a building that already has one existing? With a flat floor I need to either go down (expensive) or build up and have lobby raised. I am assuming stadiums would be cheaper then this but maybe not?

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 13:13 #27890

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Stadium will alway be far more expensive than sloped.

That said, if the property you are looking at has sufficient room, Stadium may be an option as a retrofit.

Rule: for any given size, you will be able to fit more seats in to a sloped auditorium than in a stadium auditorium.

There are no hard and fast rules as to costs as every property is different. I have just heard that in new construction, stadium is 50% more expensive in cost than slope.

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 15:52 #27891

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
If you don't have sufficient heighth to build for stadium, but have a basement, then consider removing the floor and stepping down rather then raising the walls and roof. It would be much cheaper to do it that way as the only cost is for the floor replacement rather then new partial walls and a complete new roof and ceiling. You can do that as well to get a sloped floor too. I agree that if well planned a sloped floor is just a good as stadium. However, having said that I must admit that I like stadium seating. What I would do in a new build would be to have both. Not just the several rows of sloped down front, but divide the auditorium in half. Front sloped, and rear stadium. That way those not happy about climbing up into the stadium can still sit towards the middle of the theatre. Everyone should be happy.

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 16:17 #27892

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
Roxy-I must say you have a gorgeous theater. Anyways, the buidling is flat with no basement. Ceiling heights are 40 + so that is not a problem. I guess the next issue becomes slope...wood vs. cement? I know wood might need sprinklers and fiberglass for sound but boy concrete can be expensive. I already own a theater that has a slope and just built an 8 with risers. Now trying to figure out what I like the most

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 18:38 #27893

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There are companies that make stadium kits. You should be able to find them through Box office magazine.

Concrete is the way to go.

Re: Slope vs stadium 05 Aug 2002 18:43 #27894

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
interesting Large. Why do you think concrete. In my experience concrete has been expensive and does not sound as nice as wood (as long as you have fiberglass underneath). I am intrigued as to why you think concrete is a good thing?

Re: Slope vs stadium 06 Aug 2002 01:06 #27895

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Ken...are you associated with the admiral twin in Seattle. Owner? Manager?
I've actually been there in a recent visit to see family in Seattle...enjoyed the place.

Re: Slope vs stadium 06 Aug 2002 09:23 #27896

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sandy:

Yes, I do service work for Steve Lange's Five Star Entertainment (operators of the Admiral Twin and several other theaters here in western Washington). I have been to the Admiral several times and I installed the DTS digital sound there. We have extra projection, sound, and snack bar equipment stored there up in the huge store room for emergencies.
Tony Greer is the manager at the Admiral.

Re: Slope vs stadium 06 Aug 2002 13:11 #27897

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Sandy:

You have raised a very interesting topic. I've been on vacation for the past month, so I'm trying to catch up on the new topics that have been started. As cinema architects, we have designed hundreds of sloped floor and stadium theatres, and have done many, many retrofits of existing buildings. I don't entirely agree with some of the responses you've gotten, so I'll try and clarify the issue. First of all, the height of the cinema is governed by the height of the screen. If the space is high enough to go wall-to-wall with the screen, either in flat or scope, we can fit out the space with excellent stadiums. Rule of thumb is that the eye level at the last row should be no more than 2/3 of the height of the picture. The booth can be raised high enough to give excellent clearance below the projection beam at the last row, and with reasonable projection angles. The seating capacity of the auditorium doesn't vary that much between stadiums and conventional sloped floors. Cost-wise, stadiums will run 10% to 15% more in construction. Each situation is different. If you could send us some more information about the space you are looking at, we'd be pleased to give you our opinion as to what combination of seating would be optimal.

Check out our website at www.mesbursmith.com

Re: Slope vs stadium 14 Aug 2002 18:21 #27898

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
OK-anyone (mesbursmith?) have a general clue for how much a slope floor cost per sq. foot?

Re: Slope vs stadium 14 Aug 2002 18:21 #27899

• Sandy
  • Fresh Boarder
OK-anyone (mesbursmith?) have a general clue for how much a slope floor cost per sq. foot?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction