Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design Lobby design and patron flow
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lobby design and patron flow

Lobby design and patron flow 19 Oct 2001 15:52 #27879

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
It's amazing how many cinema lobbies are so badly planned that operators are probably losing half their concession business. Often, by making simple changes to minimize congestion, improve exposure of the stand, and provide adequate queuing space can dramatically improve revenues. We'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this issue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 19 Oct 2001 21:47 #27880

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I hear you on that one! I've seen some really bad lobbies out there. Sometimes just a few minor changes can really make a world of difference.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 23 Oct 2001 12:50 #27881

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Planning a lobby to maximize your revenue is mainly a matter of using common sense. Patrons should be able to buy their ticket without congestion. When they enter the lobby, the concession must be the major focal point. They have to be able to access the concession without having to cross traffic trying to exit, and there has to be adequate space to line up. When patrons leave, they should be able to get out without crossing the main lobby again, or at least not crossing the lines of people buying food and soda. These simple design principles will ensure that you always do the most business you can.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 23 Oct 2001 14:15 #27882

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Since we started with the lobby we were given we really had no choice. In a 50 X 15 area we have our ticket booth, concession stand, 2 flight of stairs going down, one going up to booth, front doors, one closet, two double sets of doors into theatres: that's 9! Openings and doors and stairs!

Our greatest flow control is FAST service!

I am so envious of lobbies that are large enough to accomodate larger efforts and planning.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 23 Oct 2001 15:06 #27883

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Mike: I sympathize with you having a very limited lobby. We often have to use all our ingenuity and creativity to make very tight lobbies function better. In our renovation work, especially, this is a real challenge. There is usually something that can be done even in the worst lobbies which can help.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 14 Feb 2002 11:17 #27884

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
I think those theaters that have their concession stands set right in the middle of their lobby are hurting themselves and are giving up a lot of usable space. When the concessions, video games, ect. are set to the sides it give you more space for traffic. You then are allowed to rope off areas to use to direct patrons in and out of your seperate theaters.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 14 Feb 2002 16:32 #27885

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
take2

I agree with you. Akthough we have designed, at our clients' request, cinemas with large island stands in the middle of the lobby, I think they tend to make the lobby too congested. Having the stand on the side isn't the best arrangement either, as it doesn't hit the patrons in the face when they enter. We prefer to place the concession directly opposite the entrance.

Re: Lobby design and patron flow 09 Aug 2002 10:30 #27886

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
There were a couple of multi plex theaters that I visited when I was out on the west coast last year that really bothered me. They had two turn style type entries with the ticket takers on each side. So what you have is this mass of people funneling in through this very small area. By the time I got my snacks the show had already started. I'm sure that this must be a bother to others then just me. They seemed to have plenty of room on the sides to extend outwards. Was there a reason for this that you can see?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction