Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Cinema Design WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings

WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 22 Feb 2002 15:22 #27721

Below is a drawing of an auditorium that has a sloped floor, sloping up to the screen. As you may notice, the roof is sloped, this is on purpose, as the building I was thinking about this auditorium being in had a ceiling like this.

This is a drawing of the former FAMOUS PLAYERS Portage Place 3 cinemas on the 3rd floor of the Portage Place shopping centre. These cinemas went bust, and are located right across from IMAX. Imax is moving out leaving our city IMAXless within 3 years.
http://cjae929fm.com/Theatre%20Locations/Portage%20Place/portagefacade.bmp

This is the front of the MILLENNIUM. the white scribbly part is limestone, with 3 colour changing spotlights shining on it. The entire facade is glass, with rich, dark red crimson bricks. This is a contemparary look that will hardly never go out of style (The Eaton's building on Portage looked like this for 130 years, and still looks great. Theatres usually don't last that long.

What do you think?

Thanks!

TTY L8R

"I don't want you playing with something that has such bizarre hair. Such awful, awful hair!"
-Marge Simpson, on Bart's toy trolls
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 22 Feb 2002 16:05 #27722

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ah, the infamous reverse slope. I have heard of these but never seen one. I had hoped that they had all died a horrible death.

I would do a cinema with no slope in the floor before I would run one with a reverse slope. There is a very good reason why this cinema has failed, and my neck is getting sore just thinking about it.

The ultimate viewing angle is either dead level so you are putting no strain on the neck muscles or you need a headrest in each and every seat angle precisely according to the size of the individual sitting in the seat.

This is why stadium seating is so popular. If you are sitting in the right spot, your head is dead level and you suffer no fatigue while watching a film. I can stand a little up angle or a little down angle but I am sure there are limits. The only problem with stadium seating is that if it is extreme, the lower seats and the upper seats are outside of those limits.

There are architectural standard books that deal with all of these issues. My grandfather had one and I was able to look though it. It deals with seating angle, spacing, slopes, and audience cohesiveness. I am sure that any central library in a large city would have one to look through. It will provide you with hours of entertainment.

Re: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 22 Feb 2002 16:32 #27723

I had a chance to experience this is Kenora. It works quite well. I know my drawing looks exztreme, but I didn't mean it to go like that.

I like it better if I have to experience a sloped floor movie. You feel relaxed, and the screen is high-up.

As I said above it worked quite well!

"I don't want you playing with something that has such bizarre hair. Such awful, awful hair!"
-Marge Simpson, on Bart's toy trolls
Since 1987

Re: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 22 Feb 2002 20:30 #27724

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Low headroom is when you see reverse slope. I was in a theatre in the Hancock Bldg in Chicago. You only notice it when you're walking to the seat and sitting down. Once plunked it was very reclined and relaxing: nice high back seats. But a last choice for sure.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 22 Feb 2002 21:26 #27725

Ian the reason it closed as being a 3plex it didn't fit into the corporate stratager nothing under 10
They were actually rather nice cinemas with Victoria8's 35/70mm

Re: WANTED TO SHARE: My different drawings 26 Feb 2002 15:51 #27726

• mesbursmith
  • Expert Boarder
Just a quick comment on reverse slopes. When sightlines are calculated mathematically for conventional sloped floor theatres, the ideal curvature for the floor will almost always configure as a reverse slope, specially in very large theatres. The advantage of it for the patron is that the reverse slope lessens the need for front few row patrons to crane their necks to see. There is a psychological dislike for this, even though the sightlines are more comfortable.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction