Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: shoestring startup

shoestring startup 17 Nov 2001 17:11 #27603

• alleng
  • Fresh Boarder
I have gotten enough info to move to steps 2&3. I am searching for a building to open a small foreign film theater . I have limitations so will start with a conversion, probably a vacant nightclub or warehouse.

What type of used equipment should I look for? What is the minimum ceiling height that will work? I have no experience so need to know what size most of these films will be and the equipm. to run them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: shoestring startup 17 Nov 2001 18:00 #27604

Greetings,
There is an Art House that just opened here in my town that was built in an old warehouse as part of a museum. It is a very nice single screen stadium theatre. I did all of the consulting for the equipment for them (telling them what to buy and what to aviod.) They put in used equipment except for the sound system and chairs and such because of thier limited budget. They put the whole thing together for about $550,000 give or take some change.
I'll give you the exact dimensions of the Auditorium at a later time since I am not quite sure what they are.
All of thier films so far have been 35mm
they have 16 mm capability and a video projector as well.
Hope this helps
If you build a stadium auditorium it is easier for building coversion.

[This message has been edited by GTEntertainment (edited November 17, 2001).]

Re: shoestring startup 17 Nov 2001 20:22 #27605

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
When we added our third screen we went with recon seating: new fabric and paint but everything else used as well. WE built balcony , quite complex carpentry: the total came to under 200 K. How dirt cheap could you do it? +/- imho is if you built a 100 k pile you could get there. sound and proj: 25-35, seats: 200 x 60=12,000.00 signage, 2000.00...concession 5000.00 screen (new) 2000.00, plumbing, heating, air, fire sprink?, bathrooms, decor, start up cash, insurance, advertising, ans macnies, phone lines, advance $! It all starts to add up. Forget 16 as there is so little of it as to be next to worthless. IMHO!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: shoestring startup 17 Nov 2001 22:44 #27606

I suggest TOM HUTCHESON from INDEPENDENT THEATRE SUPPLY...

I will talk to him to see if I can post his direct e-mail here, and I'll get the company contact info right away.

Andy
Yes! We have running water here!
Since 1987

Re: shoestring startup 18 Nov 2001 02:03 #27607

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Don't forget those stupid handicap and parking requirements can really add up if you do a building conversion. Better check zoning regs, too and have some money to grease the palms of local officials.

Re: shoestring startup 18 Nov 2001 15:11 #27608

• alleng
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks everyone,

i guess the old adage is true: It takes money to make money.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction