Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unlimited popcorn buckets

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 21 Mar 2006 22:25 #26946

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Im sure we've all herad the stories about the bar peanuts being contaminated with urine.

No, I hadn't... but I can see how it would be likely in those bars with open bowls of 'finger foods'.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 23 Mar 2006 08:39 #26947

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
From a food safety point, the conditions of the corn, low moisture - higher salt content - rapid product turn over (in the bin and bucket) the chances of contamination to an extent to make another patron ill are very slim. Your crew have more risk in passing the germs from the bucket (or cup) to the scoop, cash register or cooler handles. For germs or bacteria growth the ideal conditions include FOOD -ACIDITY - TIME - TEMP - OXYGEN - MOISTURE. In Indiana few theatres are visited by the health dept unless they add products beyond the pop, corn or wrapped candy. (this may veriy by county)

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 23 Mar 2006 11:23 #26948

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
We have a full kitchen here... hot dogs, burgers, chicken, fries, mozarella sticks, pizzas, etc... so we see the health department about once a year. They pop in at random, so ya never know. Our experience over the years is that they are a great extra set of eyes... looking our operation over from an outsider's perspective... which is good for us, and our staff.

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 24 Mar 2006 14:45 #26949

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We have had a refillable plastic cup since the 80's. Right now it is a 32oz car cup with our logo and pepsi on it. You buy it once for $2.75 and bing it back anytime with a lid that fits for refills for $0.75. No lid and we sell yo a new one for $0.25. It has been good and gets our logo out on the streets. People carrt these around use them at work for water etc.

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 10 Apr 2006 13:59 #26950

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't want to be critical, because I see both sides of this.

But...

Do you think you get enough advertising value out of having those cups around the community, that you really overcome the losses from discounting your product like that?

If you do, then maybe it's a good idea... but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a promotion that didn't have some kind of fixed expiration on it.

A 32 oz plastic cup costs.. what?... maybe 25 cents or so? Finished soda product is about a penny an ounce. Considering about a third of a cup of ice, you're maybe putting 22 ounces of product into the cup. At around 50 cents cost for that size of product, you're talking about trading off one of your operation's major profit centers to the tune of around $2.25 per drink.

My math may be fuzzy on this, but you'd need to bring in a couple of NEW (not regular) customers to offset every time you filled up one of those cups, wouldn't you?

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 10 Apr 2006 14:57 #26951

• vulpes
  • Fresh Boarder
Greetings all, newby looking for tips here.
Is it true that some concession companies will even take on part of the cost of construction and/or operation?
What other services should a theater operator expect from a concession co.?
What are some note worthy concession companies, especially mid-atlantic?
Any time spent answering these questions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Vulpes

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 10 Apr 2006 18:48 #26952

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
I've known owners who have used concession companies in the past. Don't know any who do so today though. Considering what we pay for film, I wouldn't be interested in sharing what income I have left with another major vendor.

Coke and Pepsi will put their equipment into your place for "free" (you have to sell their pop), and provide menu boards. I have pretzel and cookie ovens and warmers that have been provided by the product manufacturers. Nacho cheese warmers aren't expensive. Really... as far as cost is concerned, your popcorn machine and refrigeration/ice equipment will probably be the biggies. For drive-ins... grills, fryers, pizza ovens and ventillation hoods might be issues to think about.

Re: Unlimited popcorn buckets 12 Apr 2006 08:49 #26953

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have been tying to analyze the numbers. Remember I inherited this policy from my in-laws which dates back to the 80's. When I look at my large drink sales ( not refills ) as a % of total attendance for the year I think it is still at least 15% of all tickets sales generate a new large drink. Since most of my business is family and the little ones don't get large and the 1000's of children who come as part of school groups which get no concession or small drinks but still count in the attendance numbers, I don't think that is too bad do you? If I could just look at adults and students tickets my large drink sales % would be much much higher.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction