Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ice machine question

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 10:05 #26460

I always ask for NO ICE, usually because I get the largest and it takes to long to drink. The theatres here use crappy ice that never seems to be completely frozen... but maybe that's because I usually go to the very first MATINEE.

Andy (That Canadian)
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 11:34 #26461

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
Mike,

In our similar-sized theater, we bought a Manitowoc QY0134A-161. This is a half-cuber, which makes 162 pounds of ice per day. We have never run out, even during Lord, Harry and Spidey sell-outs. I bought it from a wholesaler in WI called icemachineparts.com ($1,295 plus $75 freight anywhere). It came quick, set-up easy and has been great.

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 17:14 #26462

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
A word on ice: there is a science to the stuff. From my days of bartending the ice should fill the glass: this creates the proper relation with the ice and the cooled liquid. The job of the ice is to cool the liquid not be melted by the liquid. That's why in bars they tend to fill the glass with ice when making a drink: you're drink will stay cold and not get watered down by melting ice. I know-I know people think "no ice" get's them more soda and it's true but generally: not very cold soda. If you want cold bevs: fill the cup up. I read a long ramble on ice in The Playboy Bartenders Guide and the above is the synopsis. And there were no pictures. Drat!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 20:39 #26463

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We fill our cups about half way up with ice, unless asked otherwise.This seems to keep the beverages coldest for the entire show. I love those cheapskates that ask for no ice,(thinking they're getting a ton more soda) But I don't think most people drink that whole 44 oz soda anyway.Certainly not if it doesn't have ice --YUK!

Re: ice machine question 09 Jan 2003 21:45 #26464

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Bump.

Re: ice machine question 23 Nov 2003 20:52 #26465

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I know there was a follow-up to this topic but I couldn't find it in a search for ice machine or ice maker. I think I remember Beckwith bought a new ice machine, though. Anyway, my ice machine went out the day after my fire. It is now repaired, but the guy that fixed it says it is time to start looking for a replacement--after spending $500 on parts!

I currently have flaked ice and my customers and I like it. But the flakers are considerably more expensive than cubers. I may switch. Is diced ice any good? Is half diced better for drinks than regular diced or cubed? The list price of the one usfrench mentioned above is now $1465, plus shipping from icemachineparts.com in Mobile, Alabama. Anyone have any other leads?

Also, what about air vs. water cooled? I read on the CEE site that water cooled is much more energy efficient.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited November 23, 2003).]

Re: ice machine question 24 Nov 2003 00:41 #26466

• Adam Fraser
  • Expert Boarder
Try out www.superprod.com we ordered our ice machine from them about 2 years ago and got a decent price.

[This message has been edited by Adam Fraser (edited November 24, 2003).]

Re: ice machine question 24 Nov 2003 14:10 #26467

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, Burney, we bought a new Scotsman flaker in July 2002. Unfortunately it is not currently in use at our new theater as it is too small for our current needs. Ouch that hurts after spending so much on it. We bought from Superior Products and then picked it up at the warehouse locally. They were delighted to have it gone since flakers are not very popular in this area.

Even more unfortunately, the 450lb Manitowoc that was here is not making ice up to par and we are starting to have episodes where it quits making ice altogether. We are going to move it from its present location which doesn't give good air flow into another back room but I think that we are going to have to start thinking about replacing it. Why not? Everything here has turned out to be broken so I kinda expected to see the ice machine go fast. I don't love the cubed ice it makes after working with the crushed ice but reality sets in. Perhaps we should just buy another matching flaker?

Re: ice machine question 26 Nov 2003 00:37 #26468

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
We also have a 134A 1/2 cuber, it works very well, and I like the 1/2 cubes...

we do run out of Ice at times, but 1/2 a day and it's nearly full again!

Tony.
tony.

Re: ice machine question 26 Nov 2003 12:08 #26469

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Adam,
What size/model do you have? Does it make enough ice to meet a high demand weekend?

Re: ice machine question 28 Nov 2003 16:53 #26470

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
I was reading through this post again, and realized that I put the wrong maker of our ice machine. We actually have a Scotsman CME2006 (the biggest cuber they offer). It works great, although we had a faulty ice sensor that they replaced for free. We do run out during the summer months when the temps soar to about 115 degrees during the day and we're selling out shows left and right! Seems the machine doesn't like it when things are that hot (the condensor is remote and located on the roof). It is easily a very reliable machine (I can't hold the dislike for our hot summers against it), but I really wish we had flake ice as it's everybody's favorite here in town.

Re: ice machine question 29 Nov 2003 09:50 #26471

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
Not to sound like a total Moron, but what is the difference between flaked ice and cubed? Can you give me an example like Wendy's uses _______?

Having trouble with a mental picture.

The King

'The King is only as wise as his Jester'

Re: ice machine question 29 Nov 2003 13:49 #26472

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Flaked Ice is just like crushed ice, but instead of crushing the ice, it is scraped of a rotating freezing drum.

Cubed Ice is exactly that. Ours is small cubes. At home I have those crecent moon shaped ice cubes.

Re: ice machine question 29 Nov 2003 18:34 #26473

• auggie
  • Fresh Boarder
Sell bottled pop.

Re: ice machine question 29 Nov 2003 18:56 #26474

• KingJoe
  • Senior Boarder
No.
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction