Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Getting the per cap up
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting the per cap up

Re: Getting the per cap up 06 Apr 2003 20:00 #26232

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Ditto to all the above. I recently received an email complaint about my hot dog prices where the complainant said, "I think that $4.00 is an enormous amount to charge High Schoolers for just a dog & drink. Where do you think they get the money? outrageous!"

After two weeks of trying to control my angry response I have written this, which goes along with the above topic:

"In the 5 1/2 years I have been operating the Theatre, I have not personally made any money; in fact, I keep dipping into my personal savings for major improvements. I am to the point where I need to start making some money.

I simply thought some people would enjoy being able to get something different for lunch, and since the theatre just sits idle most of the time, I could sell hot dogs, sodas, and popcorn to supplement my theatre sales. They are simply an alternative to the hamburger everyone else in town sells.

My lunch is not geared toward high school students as I am so far from the school, but they are certainly welcome to come in if they wish. My target is geared more toward my neighboring business owners and possibly passing motorists who recognize the Casper’s name.

As far as the price is concerned, I think $4 for a quality Casper’s hot dog and a 32 oz. soda is reasonable. My hot dog alone is $2.50, which is cheaper than what I was paying for them while I was working everyday and eating them twice a week. Sure, you can get a hot dog and 20 oz. soda at Costco for $1.61. I cannot compete with any business that large. They can afford to lose money on hot dog sales, because they can make up the difference on big-ticket items. I have no other means to make up the difference."

Moviegoers have a choice; to buy concession items and enjoy them while watching a professionally run film presentation while seated in nice, comfortable seats or to sit in the nice, comfortable seats and enjoy the quality presentation without food. That's their choice.

Self-employed people make money by making a profit. That's what it takes to stay in business without a Sugar Daddy or Mama. Like the Costco example above, if a store has numerous items to sell, some items can be sold for small profits while others bring in much larger profits. A 9-volt battery sells in a drug store for about $2.99. The store's cost for that item is about 90 cents. The mark-up for a battery for your car remote is even more. The mark-up on the darn garage door I just had to buy is over 300%. That's just the American way. I'd much rather pay $2.50 for a hot dog than $1200 for a garage door. Do the newspapers make a big deal about the cost of garage doors????????

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting the per cap up 08 Apr 2003 11:50 #26233

• lbaxter
  • Fresh Boarder
Amen Amen......right on
Larry from Lindsay www.lindsaydrivein.com

Re: Getting the per cap up 13 Apr 2003 04:21 #26234

• swapman26
  • Fresh Boarder
I must say, I love it when a customer asks me how much a certain item is at the concession stand (it is prominently posted just above my head) I always reply "A hundred dollars!" They laugh, look up, and probably buy it anyway.

Then there is the occasional time that I will tell a customer that their total is 7 million dollars.... they laugh, and are thankful that it is not actually that much.

When people ask me how I can sleep at night knowing that I charge so much for a soda and popcorn, I reply "On a big pile of money"

As Reader's Digest puts it, Laughter is the best medicine!

Re: Getting the per cap up 13 Apr 2003 13:27 #26235

• rsmith
  • Junior Boarder
Regarding concession prices, I think people are more willing to pay the prices we need to get if everything else involved reflects quality and service. We are a midwestern two screener and we consistently average over 3.00 per cap. I always make sure we have a minimum of 3 people in our concession during peak time (sometimes four). If people see a
long line they tend to avoid it and enter the theatre instead of buying. We do not sell anything out of the ordinary concession items . No nachos / hot dogs /cotton candy. I think great service and great presentation are what still makes it all work. Our watchword has always been , It's not a movie it's an event. Regarding our market area , there are 54 screens within 19 miles of our theatre, so it's not like a non-competitive issue.

Rick
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction