Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand NY to limit drink sizes?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NY to limit drink sizes?

NY to limit drink sizes? 01 Jun 2012 16:38 #38562

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
An interesting story in todays paper says that New York City mayor Bloomberg wants to limit the size of sugary drinks that may be sold in resturants stores and theatres as a way to help fight obesity.

The largest size that would be allowed would be 16oz. which is currently my small size and in many theatres doesn't even exist.

I would suspect that if that were to happen here, that most of my patrons would then buy 2 drinks rather then one.

www.nypost.com/p/news/local/supersize_sm...ss&utm_content=Local
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: NY to limit drink sizes? 02 Jun 2012 04:14 #38565

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
At the prices most mutiplexes charge for soda, I cant imagine the theatres are selling very much at all.

And those who do buy.... get more ice than soda anyway.

Re: NY to limit drink sizes? 03 Jun 2012 17:05 #38567

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
as a former fun loving NYC guy I have always felt that underneath all that NYC insanity and craziness and intensity is actually a town all about limits, self imposed and government inspired. Whilst reeling around on a Saturday night with bars staying open till 4:00 AM I often found myself thinking "what this town needs is soda size limits." I'll drink to that! And make it a double.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2012 17:07 by Mike.

Re: NY to limit drink sizes? 06 Jun 2012 18:55 #38608

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Not to worry folks! considering none of or very FEW soda's and NONE of the BIB soda's have ANY sugar in them anymore we are good!

Now, if the Mayor wanted to limit soda's that had Corn Syrup, I'd be for that, wish they would do away with that crap anyways, NOT the Sugar!

:)
tony.

Re: NY to limit drink sizes? 13 Jun 2012 15:41 #38619

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Looks like Popcorn may be next.

The board hand-picked by Mayor Michael Bloomberg that must approve his ban of selling large sugar-filled drinks at restaurants might be looking at other targets.

The New York City Board of Health showed support for limiting sizes of sugary drinks at a Tuesday meeting in Queens. They agreed to start the process to formalize the large-drink ban by agreeing to start a six-week public comment period.

At the meeting, some of the members of board said they should be considering other limits on high-calorie foods.

One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

Another board member thinks milk drinks should fall under the size limits.

"There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories," said board member Dr. Joel Forman.

Mayor Bloomberg says the drink rules are an attempt to fight obesity in the city. It would limit food service establishments in the city from serving drinks bigger than 16 ounces but would allow refills.

The New York City Restaurant Association is fighting the proposal and is considering legal action of it goes into effect.

New York City voters oppose 51 - 46 percent Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposed ban on the sale of over-sized sugary soft drinks, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

www.myfoxny.com/story/18774940/health-pa...about-wider-food-ban

Re: NY to limit drink sizes? 13 Jun 2012 17:57 #38620

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I wonder how much money theaters and other businesses will lose because of the limit on drink sizes. Will it cost jobs? Will any businesses close? Why haven't I seen anybody talking about the economic impact? It seems the only discussions I have seen on this topic are about either the infringement on personal rights (which I believe it is) or about the need to force people to be healthier for their own good and the good of all.

People can sit at home and drink a six pack or a case of soda. They can buy a 2 liter bottle still I'm sure because it is intended to provide multiple servings. If people want to get refills, they will get refills or buy multiple sodas at the theater. So, if a person wants to abuse their body, how is this going to stop them? It will only increase regulation and hurt businesses. I think if you want to buy a bucket of soda to sip while you watch a movie, that is your business.

I think if NYC wants to limit soda consumption, they should just make it illegal altogether. Zero tolerance is an easier policy to police. Then you will have bootleggers and black market dealers. And pretty soon this prohibition... er I mean evil soda ban... will have nothing but healthy people in NYC. Everyone will see how wonderful the policy is and adopt it nationwide. We'll pay a soda dealer more for a fix than the guy selling weed on the corner because that will soon be legal everywhere whether we like it or not.

Don't worry about the cigarettes and alcohol or the fettucini alfredo or the double helping of cheescake. None of that matters, just eliminate the soda and maybe movie popcorn. Then everything will be all right. And all of the out of work soda jerks and concession operators will be happy that their sacrificed livelihoods saved the country from their own evil ways.

I'm sure if we don't take this thing into our own hands and prohibit everyone from drinking soda that we will all be so unhealthy that the public cannot afford to buy us all health care. I'm sure you are all sending me your checks to pay my medical bills regularly, right? Don't you pay my Blue Cross premiums every two weeks? Wait, I think that is me. Then you must pay the part that Blue Cross doesn't pay? Oh, wait, I think that is me too.

Unless Mayor Bloomberg and his cronies want to sit at the table with all their citizens and wack them with a stick every time they eat too much or eat or drink the wrong thing, I don't see how this policy is going to save anybody's health or save the government or the general public money. The only thing I can see that it will do is to cost people jobs and maybe even close a few businesses.
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012 11:03 by lionheart.

NY to limit drink sizes? 13 Sep 2012 15:06 #39174

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well its now official ..... the NYC ordinance limiting drink sizes has passed today (Thursday Sept 13, 2012):

Drink Ordinance Passes

NY to limit drink sizes? 17 Sep 2012 01:22 #39201

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
I hear the beverage industry is planning a suit, and I'm no lawyer, but I wonder how the city can ban one group of merchants from selling large sizes but not another.

Ironically, a movie theatre in a mall could not sell a 24 oz drink while someone could walk 6 feet outside to a vending machine and do so.

Strange.

NY to limit drink sizes? 12 Mar 2013 02:11 #39811

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
New York Soda Ban Struck Down, Bloomberg Promises Appeal

Judge: Ban on large sugary drinks 'arbitrary and capricious'

By Steven Nelson
March 11, 2013

www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/03/11/...berg-promises-appeal

Tuesday was supposed to be the first day of New York City's ban on large sodas. But on Monday afternoon New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling put Mayor Michael Bloomberg's pioneering regulation on hold, ruling that the ban was "fraught with arbitrary and capricious consequences."

The ban would have applied to sugary drinks served in containers larger than 16 ounces, but the regulation approved by the city Board of Health last year exempted convenience stores and supermarkets from the limit. Diet sodas were also exempted. Tingling ruled that the loopholes in the ban "effectively defeat the stated purpose of the rule." Additionally, he wrote that the city council "alone has the authority to legislate as the board seeks to do here."

Businesses were bracing for the switch-over ahead of Tuesday. The Wall Street Journal reported that some businesses had to throw away larger cups, while others bought new ones and had to shuffle sizes.

The lawsuit against the ban was brought by a coalition of businessmen, with many minority business associations—including the Korean-American Grocers Association of New York and the New York Statewide Coalition of Hispanic Chambers of Commerce—joining with the American Beverage Association, the National Restaurant Association and a broad array of other interests.

[EXPERTS: Courts Likely to Uphold New York Soda Ban]

Bloomberg had billed the soda ban as a way to curb obesity in his city, which he calls a "syrocketing" health issue that kills 5,000 city residents a year. But the move made him a villain to libertarians, who have long referred to him as "Nanny Bloomberg" for his efforts to restrict smoking, reduce traffic congestion and limit ownership of guns. Kristin Davis, who is running as a Libertarian to replace Bloomberg in November, told U.S. News the ruling was "the first step in ending Mayor Bloomberg's nanny state philosophy and helping to protect the individual freedoms Bloomberg has slowly been taking away from New Yorkers."

Reacting to the Monday ruling, Bloomberg's office tweeted, "We plan to appeal the sugary drinks decision as soon as possible, and we are confident the measure will ultimately be upheld."

Chris Gindlesperger, a spokesman for the American Beverage Association, said in a statement that the ruling "provides a sigh of relief to New Yorkers and thousands of small businesses in New York City that would have been harmed by this arbitrary and unpopular ban."

The New York chapter of the NAACP joined the lawsuit against Bloomberg's ban, taking issue with the burden of the ban on small businesses. The group wasn't immediately prepared to comment on the ruling.

NY to limit drink sizes? 12 Mar 2013 02:17 #39812

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
The judge ruled that Bloomberg and his Board of Health didn't even have the authority to make such a rule, even if it hadn't been improperly applied. He said the city council alone had the authority. I'm wondering if even they would really have the authority. It seems to me that the FDA or the state of New York or Congress or ??? might be required to do something like that. It seems unconstitutional to me. They tried to limit sale of a legal substance. There are all kinds of things that are bad for you if not used in moderation. Where does it end?

Thanks, New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling. Good call.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction